networking xp pro

Old August 14th 04, 09:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Brett

Default networking xp pro

Hi Folks,

Hope some one can help me please.
I networked three pc's running win xp pro for a mate of mine
yesterday.
US robotics switch to Zoom ADSL modem for internet access.
All three machines connected to switch and now share int. connection.
Two of the machines need to be able to swap files.
I ran net setup wizard on both machines.
The end result is that you can only swap files using one machine.
From the PC you can copy files to and from the laptop.
The laptop sees the shared folder on the PC, but access is denied.
I ran through all the permission settings, and it checks out.
The long and short of the error message was that i didn't have the
correct permissions, also not enough server space ?????.
I read through the stuff on the MS sit, and all settings checked out.

The other problem i now have is when you turn on the two file sharing
machines, there is an error message comes up, Norton warning, can't
access c:.
I read on the Symantec site about conflict between XP Pro and Norton
causing this. Tryed there recomendations, but nothing seemed to work.
Any ideas???

I do appreciate all the help you are giving me latley.

Thanks

Brett
Old August 15th 04, 12:26 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , "Brett"
says...
Hi Folks,

Hope some one can help me please.
I networked three pc's running win xp pro for a mate of mine
yesterday.
US robotics switch to Zoom ADSL modem for internet access.
All three machines connected to switch and now share int. connection.
Two of the machines need to be able to swap files.
I ran net setup wizard on both machines.
The end result is that you can only swap files using one machine.
From the PC you can copy files to and from the laptop.
The laptop sees the shared folder on the PC, but access is denied.
I ran through all the permission settings, and it checks out.
The long and short of the error message was that i didn't have the
correct permissions, also not enough server space ?????.
I read through the stuff on the MS sit, and all settings checked out.

The other problem i now have is when you turn on the two file sharing
machines, there is an error message comes up, Norton warning, can't
access c:.
I read on the Symantec site about conflict between XP Pro and Norton
causing this. Tryed there recomendations, but nothing seemed to work.
Any ideas???

Norton software had a good name because Peter Norton had a clue - when
he sold the company to Symantec he apparently took the clue with him but
left his name behind.
Old August 16th 04, 06:55 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Pete Mainwaring

(Brett) wrote in message . com...
Hi Folks,

Hope some one can help me please.
I networked three pc's running win xp pro for a mate of mine
yesterday.
US robotics switch to Zoom ADSL modem for internet access.
All three machines connected to switch and now share int. connection.
Two of the machines need to be able to swap files.
I ran net setup wizard on both machines.
The end result is that you can only swap files using one machine.
From the PC you can copy files to and from the laptop.
The laptop sees the shared folder on the PC, but access is denied.
I ran through all the permission settings, and it checks out.
The long and short of the error message was that i didn't have the
correct permissions, also not enough server space ?????.
I read through the stuff on the MS sit, and all settings checked out.

The other problem i now have is when you turn on the two file sharing
machines, there is an error message comes up, Norton warning, can't
access c:.
I read on the Symantec site about conflict between XP Pro and Norton
causing this. Tryed there recomendations, but nothing seemed to work.
Any ideas???

I do appreciate all the help you are giving me latley.

Thanks

Brett

Are you getting "can't access c:" or "access denied c:"? I get the
message "access denied", but I can still access c: ok. I can also
share files across the network fine too.

There is a fix described on the Symantec website, but I haven't got
round to implementing it yet.

Try accessing c: anyway, you may well find it works even though you
got the message.

Pete
Old August 16th 04, 11:09 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Brett

(Pete Mainwaring) wrote in message . com...
(Brett) wrote in message . com...
Hi Folks,

Hope some one can help me please.
I networked three pc's running win xp pro for a mate of mine
yesterday.
US robotics switch to Zoom ADSL modem for internet access.
All three machines connected to switch and now share int. connection.
Two of the machines need to be able to swap files.
I ran net setup wizard on both machines.
The end result is that you can only swap files using one machine.
From the PC you can copy files to and from the laptop.
[...]

Pete,

Sorry, the message is "access denied c:"
Yes I can still access c: and i have tried the fix from symantec to no avail.

Damned anoying.

Cheers

Brett