Wireless network considered

Old August 17th 04, 02:12 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John \O\

Default Wireless network considered

Can anyone advise as to what would be the best Wireless networking kit for
networking
two laptops, I currently am subscribed to NTL Broadband (150kbs service).

TIA

JJ

Old August 17th 04, 08:40 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Microbe

I have just purchased a Linksys BEFW11S4 for just this purpose. It has 4
wired ports + 802.11b, which is also upgradable to WPA with the latest
firmware.
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...dband%20Router

The only extras you need are the cards
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...?ProductID=215

"George Hewitt" wrote in message
Can anyone advise as to what would be the best Wireless networking kit

for
networking
two laptops, I currently am subscribed to NTL Broadband (150kbs

service).

Buy a wireless CABLE router (make sure it's cable not ADSL - cable routers
will have a WAN ethernet port for the modem to plug into).

Then buy two wireless PCMCIA or USB adaptors for the laptops, unless of
course you are lucky to have inbuilt wireless.

My recommendations are for either Netgear or Linksys kit. Get the same

make
for both the router and the adaptors since it generally makes life easier.
If you're just browsing the internet you can opt for the slower/cheaper
802.11b standard. If you want it faster for sharing files etc, then you

can
go for the 802.11g.

I've found Ebuyer (ebuyer.com) a useful place to buy above kit.

(watch the wrap)

for the router.

for the wireless cards.

Both are 11b versions (the slower/cheaper one). You can buy 11g

equivalents
if you wish.

HTH

PS. Your 150kbs NTL service is about to / has already been upgraded to

300k
)

---