Please help AOL and network Confused!!!

Old August 17th 04, 12:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
sue

Default Please help AOL and network Confused!!!

I am confused! We have 3 pcs we want to network at home. We have two
ps with win 98SE and mine with XP. I am told I can not home network on
the cheapest AOL broadband and that I must have Gold package..ok so
far!
I know I need to buy a router..theirs I presume cheapest being around
65...ok I think!
What I dont understand is the way it will run once set up. Firstly
will this be easy to set up?
How does this work when all three of us want to be online at the same
time. My son will be sharing the network on his pc . He is 12 and I am
strict with his parental control setings...how will this be
affected??? Do I understand right that one screen name (master)ie ME,
must be signed on for him or anyone else to use the broadband
connection. Whats all this about only being able to use Internet
explorer? Or have I got that bit wrong? I am very very confused and
would love to hear from anyone who could give me some easy to
understand advice on all this??
Many thanks
Old August 17th 04, 02:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George Hewitt

I am confused! We have 3 pcs we want to network at home. We have two
ps with win 98SE and mine with XP. I am told I can not home network on
the cheapest AOL broadband and that I must have Gold package..ok so
far!
I know I need to buy a router..theirs I presume cheapest being around
65...ok I think!
What I dont understand is the way it will run once set up. Firstly
will this be easy to set up?

It's not the easiest but it's possible. The only thing AOL has going for it
is its parental controls.

How does this work when all three of us want to be online at the same
time. My son will be sharing the network on his pc . He is 12 and I am
strict with his parental control setings...how will this be
affected???

The best way to set it up as follows.

1. Register a new screenname for use with the router. (eg. if your name is
Smith, then create one called smith-router or something). When you setup the
router, use this username and password.

2. Configure the AOL software on each of the machines to connect over the
LAN.

3. Each user can then use his/her screenname to login through the AOL
software as before.

Do I understand right that one screen name (master)ie ME,
must be signed on for him or anyone else to use the broadband
connection. Whats all this about only being able to use Internet
explorer?

See above. You can just use internet explorer but it is possible to use the
AOL software if you want to have parental control.

Or have I got that bit wrong? I am very very confused and
would love to hear from anyone who could give me some easy to
understand advice on all this??

AOL keyword is home networking (with or without space, I can't remember).

The above is simply what I remember from setting up a client with AOL
broadband with a router, I'm not actually with AOL myself.

Of course.... the much simpler way to do which is what I would recommend is
to drop AOL and register with a decent ISP (eg. Pipex, Nildram..) and then
if you want parental controls you can use software such as Netnanny or
similar. Therefore, you're not restricted to Thompson routers (which AOL
recommend) and many headaches can be prevented.

HTH

---

Old August 17th 04, 03:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Roto Flex

sue wrote:
I am confused! We have 3 pcs we want to network at home. We have two
ps with win 98SE and mine with XP. I am told I can not home network on
the cheapest AOL broadband and that I must have Gold package..ok so
far!
I know I need to buy a router..theirs I presume cheapest being around
65...ok I think!
What I dont understand is the way it will run once set up. Firstly
will this be easy to set up

AOL connections don't work by the usual industry ways of working it
would be easier and better to use another ISP with parental controls --
although I hate to recommend them having just left them (because of
unilateral changes to terms & conditions) BT Yahoo might be worth
considering. The BT Yahoo Home 500 "wires only" package might suit your
needs.
You should be able to pick up a suitable ADSL Router for just under 40
pounds from Ebuyer the Origio works well with BT broadband) this
connects via ethernet to each PC.

When connecting via broadband it is very important that you have an
effective firewall protecting all the PCs and decent antivirus software,
howevr suitable software is available for free for home use.
Old August 17th 04, 05:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jo Bloe

sue wrote:

I am confused! We have 3 pcs we want to network at home. We have two
ps with win 98SE and mine with XP. I am told I can not home network on
the cheapest AOL broadband and that I must have Gold package..ok so
far!

::chortle::

How AOL manage to keep customers is beyond me.

No home networking, what drugs are they on?

So they want 25 a month from you to provide you with 512k broadband,
when this speed is available elsewhere for way under 20. On top of
that, you have to be choosy over what hardware you use to get the thing
up and running.

Do yourself a favour and leave em! There's nothing on AOL that isn't
available elsewhere on the Internet.

Their parental controls don't even work properly!
Old August 17th 04, 11:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony

"Roto Flex" wrote in message
sue wrote:
I am confused! We have 3 pcs we want to network at home. We have two
ps with win 98SE and mine with XP. I am told I can not home network on
the cheapest AOL broadband and that I must have Gold package..ok so
far!
I know I need to buy a router..theirs I presume cheapest being around
65...ok I think!
What I dont understand is the way it will run once set up. Firstly
will this be easy to set up

AOL connections don't work by the usual industry ways of working it
would be easier and better to use another ISP with parental controls --
although I hate to recommend them having just left them (because of
unilateral changes to terms & conditions) BT Yahoo might be worth
considering. The BT Yahoo Home 500 "wires only" package might suit your
needs.

AOL always seem to do everything back to front and inside out... Get a
better ISP.

Old August 18th 04, 09:02 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AR Gonot

Jo Bloe wrote:
sue wrote:

I am confused! We have 3 pcs we want to network at home. We have two
ps with win 98SE and mine with XP. I am told I can not home network on
the cheapest AOL broadband and that I must have Gold package..ok so
far!

::chortle::

How AOL manage to keep customers is beyond me.

No home networking, what drugs are they on?

So they want 25 a month from you to provide you with 512k broadband,
when this speed is available elsewhere for way under 20. On top of
that, you have to be choosy over what hardware you use to get the thing
up and running.

Do yourself a favour and leave em! There's nothing on AOL that isn't
available elsewhere on the Internet.

Their parental controls don't even work properly!

Personally I wouldn't want AOL anywhere near my PC but pricewise 25
pounds for 512 is actually not that bad unless you have cable, as all
the cheaper BT line deals either come with strings such as download
caps or lack of mail boxes or are from less than reliable ISPs
I went from BT Yahoo (because it was rapidly becomming a mini AOL) to
Zen (cracking good ISP) I go a cheaper cap free connection and a fixed
IP address but only got one mailbox, I have to pay extra for others.
It pays to do a bit of digging at the ADSLGuide.org.uk before selecting
an ISP.
Old August 18th 04, 11:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
THe NuTTeR

I pay 22.50 a month for uncapped 512/256
Single fixed IP address (5.00 + vat per month for more)
20 @f2s.com email boxes
unlimited @username.f2s.com email boxes
no reliability problems yet.
free installation, no monthly contract (although the installation fee is
subsequently charged if you leave within 12 months)
regrading available.
good customer support.
I've never had a problem
Its just as fast as BTOpenworld ever was
George