Too much data being uploaded

Old August 17th 04, 08:53 PM posted to alt.comp.networking.firewalls,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.security
Aosmosis

Default Too much data being uploaded

I had a massive problem with a fresh reinstall on a brand new 80Gb HDD.

Windows would start and it would automatically connect to the net, and when
I right clicked on the flashing icon in the bottom right hand corner it had
uploaded 5mb data in 6 minutes. To make things worse it had blocked of any
data I wanted , so any URLs emails etc came as page not found.

I did a scan with norton and trend antivirus, nothing detected. I have zone
labs firewall, nothing detected.
In the windows task manager I had no suspicious applications running.

I format the hard drive and the same thing happens after a day.

I format this time writing 0s to the hard drive and everything is ok. I have
windows XP with service pack 2, and a local direct cable LAN. I have Zone
alarm.

When I downloaded msn messenger 6.2 I noticed that there was a lot of data
being uploaded and my zonealarm program kept on asking permission for
msnmsgr.exe to use the connection. A lot of the sites I was trying to
access didnt work.
I also have java web start installed as some of the sites I need dont work
without it.

I also had Ares installed but it wasnt running.
I did a system restore back to when the system was running fine.

Can anyone tell me whats going on?

Is there a program that tells you where this uploaded data is going and who
is reponsible?

Old August 17th 04, 11:21 PM posted to alt.comp.networking.firewalls,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.security
Rob Morley

In article ,
"Aosmosis" says...
snip
Is there a program that tells you where this uploaded data is going and who
is reponsible?

netstat (command line) will show all established network connections
with destination.
Old August 18th 04, 01:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Graham

When I downloaded msn messenger 6.2 I noticed that there was a lot of data
being uploaded and my zonealarm program kept on asking permission for
msnmsgr.exe to use the connection. A lot of the sites I was trying to
access didnt work.

AFAIK MSN Messenger still loads Q Manager (loadqm), a Bill Gates Trojan.

I always delete the registry key
LoadQm "loadqm.exe"
in
HKEY_Local_Machine_Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run

Having said that I would be suprised if Q manager alone was saturating your
connection.

(posted to uk.comp.home-networking only)
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%