Cross wired

Old August 19th 04, 12:17 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alan Halliday

Default Cross wired

I have a crosswired cable from my bedroom to my lounge(under floor and
plastered in the walls). I now want to add a router and understand it needs
a straight cable. Can I just rewire one of the sockets or is it more
involved?
TIA
Alan

Old August 19th 04, 02:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George Hewitt

"Alan Halliday" wrote in message
I have a crosswired cable from my bedroom to my lounge(under floor and
plastered in the walls). I now want to add a router and understand it

needs
a straight cable. Can I just rewire one of the sockets or is it more
involved?
TIA
Alan

http://www.aptcommunications.com/ncode.htm (GIYF)

Most wiring seems to be done to the B standard, so since crossover is
one-end A and one-end B, if you change one of the ends to the A standard you
should be set.

HTH

---

Old August 19th 04, 03:18 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mike

no just change the wires at the back of the router socket.
an easier way would be to make a short adapter lead or adapt an extention
lead which 'uncrosses' the lead for you
save invalidating router! guarantee.

a local pc should have the tools, not seen one on the market.

mike

Old August 19th 04, 09:55 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AR Gonot

Alan Halliday wrote:
I have a crosswired cable from my bedroom to my lounge(under floor and
plastered in the walls). I now want to add a router and understand it needs
a straight cable. Can I just rewire one of the sockets or is it more
involved?
TIA
Alan

easy ways

(1) Use a crossed wired patch lead (as already sugested by other posters)
(2) Use a crosswired adaptor/Coupler --- as sold by Maplin
(3) Use an autosensing Hub/switch
Old August 19th 04, 01:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

In message , AR Gonot
writes
Alan Halliday wrote:
I have a crosswired cable from my bedroom to my lounge(under floor and
plastered in the walls). I now want to add a router and understand it needs
a straight cable. Can I just rewire one of the sockets or is it more
involved?
TIA
Alan

easy ways

(1) Use a crossed wired patch lead (as already sugested by other posters)
(2) Use a crosswired adaptor/Coupler --- as sold by Maplin
(3) Use an autosensing Hub/switch

I use a four port router/switch. It has an uplink port and that could be
used with a crossover cable.

--
Bernard Peek