54Mbit Wireless Router and PCI card combination.

Old August 20th 04, 10:50 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default 54Mbit Wireless Router and PCI card combination.

Hi everyone

I appreciate topics like this have probably been raised before but any
views or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Having searched for
information I feel more confused about everything now than before even
So I hope nobody minds another thread asking for help.

At the moment I have a D-Link DI-614 router and DSL-300+ modem. I am
thinking of getting an "all in one" ADSL modem and router with wireless
capabilities - i.e. D-Link DSL-G604T, Linksys WAG54G-UK or Netgear
DG834G. Ideally I would like a wireless PCI card to go with this unit
and figured an adaptor from the same company should surely make life
easier Of course having read about all the cards I'm not getting a
favourable impression of any. So your opinion on which router-modem
unit to get and wireless card would be most appreciated.

Owning a DI-614 I figure the D-Link DSL-G604T is going to have a
similar interface. Apperantly Netgear tech-support is virtually
non-existant and while D-Link take time, you can actually get help. I
have no experience with Linksys.

For the PCI cards I was looking at the D-Link DWL-G520/DWL-G520+,
Netgear WG311 or Linksys WMP54GS-UK. Well, the Netgear PCI card seems
to randomly reboot computers and freezes a lot. The D-Link does the
same and conflicts with Creative soundcards and I have a Audigy 2 ZS
PCI card. I don't know anything about the Linksys one.

If anybody is happy with the DWL-G520 then please let me know. I am
open to suggestions about whichever combination is best. At the moment
though my head is getting dizzy from trying to work out which is best

Thanks in advance for the help!

As a sidenote, I will be doing data-transfer between machines and
downloading; so it will be for more than just "casual" browsing every
so often.

Old August 22nd 04, 06:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
THe NuTTeR

Linksys seems pretty good.
I have a WAG54G, which is rock solid running NAT , but won't support
NON-NAT setup properly.
I installed some Linksys cards for someone, and haven't heard that he's
been having problems with it.
George

Old August 31st 04, 01:37 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sean Breen

wrote in message

At the moment I have a D-Link DI-614 router and DSL-300+ modem. I am
thinking of getting an "all in one" ADSL modem and router with wireless
capabilities - i.e. D-Link DSL-G604T, Linksys WAG54G-UK or Netgear
DG834G. Ideally I would like a wireless PCI card to go with this unit
and figured an adaptor from the same company should surely make life
easier Of course having read about all the cards I'm not getting a
favourable impression of any. So your opinion on which router-modem
unit to get and wireless card would be most appreciated.

Check out the PC World deal on the BT Voyager 2100 + PCI card + PCMCIA card
for under 100.

Its a fairly new piece of kit - so am unsure of the reliability etc. but I
believe the BT Voyager line is well respected.