Wake Up on LAN with WiFi

Old August 20th 04, 05:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George Hewitt

Default Wake Up on LAN with WiFi

is it possible so I can make my lappy turn my computer on when it
connects to the network as per a PCI card ?

I don't think it's possible. I've never heard anything about it.

Also, the way laptops and PCs deal with power to components is slightly
different. PCs can maintain power to the PCI bus even when off, as long as
the mains is connected, whereas laptops tend to power down completely,
cutting all power to PCMCIA ports etc. The card needs power (even when off)
to receive the magic packets that W-o-L is based on.

---

Old August 21st 04, 09:18 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George Hewitt

thats not a problem as I'd want to start the PC when I use the lappy.
I can't see any why of setting it up though.

Damn, I'm sorry. I was tired and misread the post.

Take a look at http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software...an/mini-howto/
There are some tools listed there as software to send magic packets.

I don't see why this shouldn't work, as you can encapsulate the magic packet
in IP (which wireless supports) and sends via UDP (which wireless
supports)...

---

Old August 22nd 04, 01:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George Hewitt

Thanks, that tends to deal with wire LAN, I'm wondering if it could
ever work as the WiFi card isn't on when the comp is off, unlike a LAN
card with WOL

Sorry I think I am misunderstanding you.

Is your PC connected to laptop via WiFi ??

If yes then WOL won't work (AFAIK). If no, and laptop goes wirelessly to a
router and then wired to PC, it should work.

HTH (finally..)