Extended reach

Old August 20th 04, 05:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Extended reach

I am currently using 512K broadband as this is the only speed I can get due
to my distance from my exchange. I have just been contacted by my ISP and
informed that due to BT changing their broadband distance limits on 6th
September, I may qualify for 1mbps.

I'm assuming I'm over 3.5km from the exchange at the moment and I'm hoping
that I am within 6km to qualify for 1mpbs after 6th September.

Does anyone know of a site where I can locate my exchange exactly and at
least predict my approximate distance from it? Large assumptions that the
cables take a relatively direct route, but if I'm 4-5km away then I'll get
my hopes up. Over 5km and I might not.

I can't find this on the BT site - is there anything I can type into my
phone to give me this?

MGS

Old August 20th 04, 06:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

As an added extra, BT says that they don't publish exchange locations for
security reasons... fairy nuff I spose.

Autoroute reckons I'm 4.2km from the furthest edge of town on the other side
of the town centre. My hopes are raised slightly.

MGS shared with us the following:

Old August 20th 04, 08:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George Hewitt

Does anyone know of a site where I can locate my exchange exactly and at
least predict my approximate distance from it? Large assumptions that the
cables take a relatively direct route, but if I'm 4-5km away then I'll get
my hopes up. Over 5km and I might not.

Taken from: http://www.btofaq.net/articles/intro/failed.html

How long is your line?
The maximum permitted line length for ADSL is 3.5km, and 5.5km for RDSL,
from your local exchange. You can test your approximate line length by
dialling (on your intended ADSL line) "17070", The response will tell you
the number of your circuit. Then enter "3", then "1" (you ARE authorised,
aren't you?), then "2". If you then hang up, the test system will call you
back and tell you the approximate distance distance from your exchange.

HTH

---

Old August 20th 04, 08:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sunil Sood

"George Hewitt" wrote in message

Taken from: http://www.btofaq.net/articles/intro/failed.html

How long is your line?
The maximum permitted line length for ADSL is 3.5km, and 5.5km for RDSL,
from your local exchange. You can test your approximate line length by
dialling (on your intended ADSL line) "17070"

That page is several years out of date - 17070 hasn't done that for a long
while..

To the OP - please see my reply in uk.telecom.broadband

Regards
Sunil

Old August 20th 04, 09:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AR Gonot

MGS wrote:
I am currently using 512K broadband as this is the only speed I can get due
to my distance from my exchange. I have just been contacted by my ISP and
informed that due to BT changing their broadband distance limits on 6th
September, I may qualify for 1mbps.

I'm assuming I'm over 3.5km from the exchange at the moment and I'm hoping
that I am within 6km to qualify for 1mpbs after 6th September.

Does anyone know of a site where I can locate my exchange exactly and at
least predict my approximate distance from it? Large assumptions that the
cables take a relatively direct route, but if I'm 4-5km away then I'll get
my hopes up. Over 5km and I might not.

I can't find this on the BT site - is there anything I can type into my
phone to give me this?

MGS

I suspect not published for fairly obvious security reasons, I know one
of the exchanges in my area is in a nuclear bunker :-(*)
I am in the same boat distnce wise, I would go 1mbs if it was a new
install but I am not upgrading as having tried 1mbs links I couldn't
honestly see any difference for normal browsing. File downloads and
streaming media from some sites should be a lot better but a friend with
a 1mbs AOL service finds large file downloads from the Norton and Mico$
sites aren't any quicker than 512. Interestingly his ADSGuide benchmark
figure is surprisingly near to the 1mbs and on the upload speed is
almost a full 512 !!!!

Old August 20th 04, 11:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
logized

MGS wrote in message ...
I am currently using 512K broadband as this is the only speed I can get

due
to my distance from my exchange. I have just been contacted by my ISP and
informed that due to BT changing their broadband distance limits on 6th
September, I may qualify for 1mbps.

I'm assuming I'm over 3.5km from the exchange at the moment and I'm hoping
that I am within 6km to qualify for 1mpbs after 6th September.

Does anyone know of a site where I can locate my exchange exactly and at
least predict my approximate distance from it? Large assumptions that the
cables take a relatively direct route, but if I'm 4-5km away then I'll get
my hopes up. Over 5km and I might not.

I can't find this on the BT site - is there anything I can type into my
phone to give me this?

MGS

If you put your postcode or telephone number into the checker at
http://www.bt.com/broadband/ it will tell you the maximum speed possible -
for example, it may say that "although your line length to the exchange is
quite long - 'you may be able' to have up to a 2Mbs service".
Well at least it gives a rough idea of what you may be able to have.

Dave

Old August 21st 04, 10:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:46:47 +0100, MGS wrote:

I can't find this on the BT site - is there anything I can type into my
phone to give me this?

you are wasting your time - if you qualified for the 512k service you
automatically qualify for 1M on the new limits because 1M is adopting
those limits, so just order it !

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !