Recommended hardware for wired home network?

Old August 21st 04, 10:32 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andy F Batter

Default Recommended hardware for wired home network?

I've 2 pcs, one is a crappy 900mhz Athlon which I use as as a HTPC, the
other is my whizzy 2.6ghz Dell which is in my office with its adsl
connection. I've been otiny with the idea of hooking the two up. Living in
a bungalow with about 40ft and 4 walls between the two machines I figure I'm
going to have to take the wired route...

Bearing in mind I want to have access to t'internet on the htpc, and would
ideally like to remotely acccess files on the Dell's hdd too, including the
occasional dodgy divz download, what's the best harware I can get for this
job at a sensible price? The Dell already has a lan connection onboard -
but am I best to ignore that and get 2 matching PCI cards?

I'm about to order a new HDD from ebuyer, but will hold fire till your good
advice rolls in before ordering.

TIA

Andy

Old August 21st 04, 01:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony

"Andy F Batter" wrote in message
I've 2 pcs, one is a crappy 900mhz Athlon which I use as as a HTPC, the
other is my whizzy 2.6ghz Dell which is in my office with its adsl
connection. I've been otiny with the idea of hooking the two up. Living
in
a bungalow with about 40ft and 4 walls between the two machines I figure
I'm
going to have to take the wired route...

It depends on what the walls arer made of, I use a wireless link through
five old brick walls without a problem.

Bearing in mind I want to have access to t'internet on the htpc, and would
ideally like to remotely acccess files on the Dell's hdd too, including
the
occasional dodgy divz download, what's the best harware I can get for this
job at a sensible price? The Dell already has a lan connection onboard -
but am I best to ignore that and get 2 matching PCI cards?

Theres no reason to ignore the Dell in-built LAN connection... why fit
something that is already there and take up valuable PCI slots in the
process? If the in-built LAN is working or assumed to be working then you
don't need to add another LAN... That would just confuse things... If you
are going the wired route, then just buy any 10/100 LAN card for the 900MHz
system (whatever is available at the place you buy the HDD from) I have
seen them for sale recently at computer shows for around a fiver. The
biggest headache could be routing the cable between the two PC's if the run
is awkward, if not then the job will be quite simple.

Old August 21st 04, 02:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George Hewitt

Bearing in mind I want to have access to t'internet on the htpc, and would
ideally like to remotely acccess files on the Dell's hdd too, including

the
occasional dodgy divz download, what's the best harware I can get for this
job at a sensible price? The Dell already has a lan connection onboard -
but am I best to ignore that and get 2 matching PCI cards?

The best bet is to buy an ADSL router with built in modem (make sure it says
built-in modem, though!) and a few ethernet (rj45) ports on the back. You
can then plug your phone line straight into the router, and have two
ethernet cables running to your two machines.

You don't need two matching cards so just use the onboard. eBuyer's cheapo
PCI ether cards are great, work a treat (quickfind 42061) and for just over
2 you can't go wrong.

As for routers, it's probably best to go for a brandname but having said
that, ebuyer's labelless router seems to have a good rep. Shop around,
Netgear & Linksys are the big names.

HTH

---

Old August 21st 04, 04:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Stanton

connection. I've been otiny with the idea of hooking the two up. Living in
a bungalow with about 40ft and 4 walls between the two machines I figure I'm
going to have to take the wired route...

TIA

Andy

Just run the cable through the loft, bungalows are esay to wire up.

Dave

Old August 21st 04, 08:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AR Gonot

George Hewitt wrote:
[...]

Even simpler still USB the poster get an ADSL router-modem with ethernet
ports and a USB networking port. This assumes the "crappy" Athlon 900
has a USB port that works which is not always the case depending and
the chipset and particularly as it is likely to have. Windows ME
(strangely ME isn't as good at USB as Win 98se or Xp).

Drifting off the main question a 900 Athlon isn't exactly crappy given
enough memory and a decent graphics card it should be reasonably quick.
Old August 21st 04, 08:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AR Gonot

Dave Stanton wrote:

connection. I've been otiny with the idea of hooking the two up. Living in
a bungalow with about 40ft and 4 walls between the two machines I figure I'm
going to have to take the wired route...

TIA

Andy

Just run the cable through the loft, bungalows are esay to wire up.

Dave

Or if its a prewar bungalow with easy under floor access under the floor.