Home Networking Advice Needed

Old August 21st 04, 04:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chainsaw

Default Home Networking Advice Needed

I've seen a lot of these in the newsgroup, so apologies in advance if
I'm asking questions that are being answered every week.

I'm looking to setup a home network, and will probably be going
wireless. I use NTL broadband, and currently the PC goes straight into
the cable box via RJ45, all nice and straight forward. Now I'm moving my
computer upstairs so the logical solution would be a wireless DHCP
router downstairs and a PCI card for the PC upstairs; however I like to
be as flexible as possible, so I was thinking something like the
wireless DHCP router downstairs (with a couple of 10/100 sockets I can
plug the laptop and XBox into) and some kind of wireless hub / router
upstairs, again with 4 10/100 - I can then plug my PC in to this, but it
gives me expansion possibilities such as transfering data from clients, etc.

So my main question is, how difficult is this? A straight DHCP router -
PCI card setup sounds very simple, but how do you go about setting up
DHCP router - router? Any equipment recommendations would be
appreciated, I don't think the wireless speed matters much 11mbps should
be ample.

And I best ask - how secure would all this be? I do a lot of movie
editing at home so that's pretty critical. I'd prefer to go wireless as
getting RJ45 from downstairs to upstairs would be quite a task.

Thanks in advance,

Matt
www.chainsaw-films.com
Old August 22nd 04, 04:35 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
news.comcast.giganews.com

Chainsaw said:
[...]

Most of the wirwless routers will work (using DHCP) right out of the
box - and the direction aren't too bad. Security on the other hand -
you'll have to set up; but again the direction will help you along.

Old August 22nd 04, 11:02 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chainsaw

news.comcast.giganews.com wrote:
Chainsaw said:

[...]

Thanks for the reply mate.