Still getting DNS problems at home - v. Strange

Old August 22nd 04, 12:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Toby Newman

Default Still getting DNS problems at home - v. Strange

I posted a while ago explaining how I was unable to connect to my website
asktoby.com from home, but *was* able to connect to other websites from home
and *was* able to connect to asktoby.com from elswhe
http://tinyurl.com/63lz8
(link to google groups archive of my last thread)

Well, I thought I'd fixed the problem by putting a different ISP's DNS
server IP in my connections' TCP/IP settings. (I use NTL). I tried
Freeserve's DNS and it began to work, but upon rebooting, I found that I had
the same problem, even using the Freeserve DNS.
I've now tried other ISP's DNS servers and find the same thing: When I
change the DNS server, I can access asktoby.com, but when I come back the
following day having rebooted my PC I find that I get the same old error:

Resolving host www.asktoby.com...
www.asktoby.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again.

All other websites work fine, and away from home I can access asktoby.com
with no problems.

I've really no idea what is happening here... I'm hoping someone can shed
some light, or perhaps tell me a way to find out the IP address of my
website so I can at least try to access it directly.

Thanks
Toby

Old August 22nd 04, 01:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Lloyd

Toby Newman wrote:
[...]

These are the DNS's i'm using (telewest) give them a try.
62.31.144.39
195.188.53.175
62.31.112.39

Done an nslookup on the domain and all 3 servers reply with
69.50.214.111 as you site's ip address but when i type that into my
browser i just get a blank page. My guess is it's name based hosting so
theres a number of websites using the same ip address and the webserver
uses the domain name to send you to the right site.

I will give it another go tomorrow and let you know if i can still
access your site.

Just out of interest what's the ip's of the dns servers you have tried?

C:\nslookup www.asktoby.com 62.31.144.39
Server: ns1-gat.blueyonder.net
Address: 62.31.144.39

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: asktoby.com
Address: 69.50.214.111
Aliases: www.asktoby.com

C:\nslookup www.asktoby.com 195.188.53.175
Server: ns2-kno.blueyonder.net
Address: 195.188.53.175

Name: asktoby.com
Address: 69.50.214.111
Aliases: www.asktoby.com

C:\nslookup www.asktoby.com 62.31.112.39
Server: ns1-udd.blueyonder.net
Address: 62.31.112.39

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: asktoby.com
Address: 69.50.214.111
Aliases: www.asktoby.com
Old August 22nd 04, 02:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Toby Newman" wrote in message
I posted a while ago explaining how I was unable to connect to my website
asktoby.com from home, but *was* able to connect to other websites from
home and *was* able to connect to asktoby.com from elswhe
http://tinyurl.com/63lz8
(link to google groups archive of my last thread)

Well, I thought I'd fixed the problem by putting a different ISP's DNS
server IP in my connections' TCP/IP settings. (I use NTL). I tried
Freeserve's DNS and it began to work, but upon rebooting, I found that I
had the same problem, even using the Freeserve DNS.

[snip]

The GTLD servers list NS records for asktoby.com of
ns1.uksecurewebhosting.net and ns2.uksecurewebhosting.net. However, these
servers are returning NS records for asktoby.com of ns1.dnsrouter.com and
ns2.dnsrouter.com. The latter two names have addresses, but are not
responsive at this time.

Due to the TTLs of the NS records returned by ns1 and
ns2.uksecurewebhosting.net being the same as that of the A record they also
return, I don't see how this accounts for the problem, but it's odd to put
it mildly.

Alex

Old August 22nd 04, 03:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Sumner

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 11:34:37 GMT, "Toby Newman"
Resolving host www.asktoby.com...
www.asktoby.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again.

All other websites work fine, and away from home I can access asktoby.com
with no problems.

I've really no idea what is happening here... I'm hoping someone can shed
some light, or perhaps tell me a way to find out the IP address of my
website so I can at least try to access it directly.

www.asktoby.com is a pointer to asktoby.com and its address is
69.50.214.111

Looks like something bad has happened to your DNS which you need to
get whoever provides it to sort out. According to .com
uksecurewebhosting.net have the nameservers for asktoby.com, but while
they have the address they say that dnsrouter.com are responsible

asktoby.com

Server: ns1.uksecurewebhosting.net
Address: 69.50.213.246

asktoby.com MX preference = 0, mail exchanger = asktoby.com
asktoby.com
primary name server = ns1.dnsrouter.com
responsible mail addr = root.boston.dnsrouter.com
serial = 2004071902
refresh = 14400 (4 hours)
retry = 7200 (2 hours)
expire = 3600000 (41 days 16 hours)
default TTL = 86400 (1 day)
asktoby.com nameserver = ns2.dnsrouter.com
asktoby.com nameserver = ns1.dnsrouter.com
asktoby.com internet address = 69.50.214.111
asktoby.com internet address = 69.50.214.111

The two name servers at dnsrouter.com don't seem to respond to queries

http://www.demon.net/external/ helps a lot with DNS issues

--
Peter Sumner
Old August 23rd 04, 06:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Peter Sumner" wrote in message
[snip]
Looks like something bad has happened to your DNS which you need to
get whoever provides it to sort out. According to .com
uksecurewebhosting.net have the nameservers for asktoby.com, but while
they have the address they say that dnsrouter.com are responsible

[snip]
The two name servers at dnsrouter.com don't seem to respond to queries

Can you think of any reason why this would cause the observed problem
though?

AIUI, in the course of resolving the name, the GTLD servers will be queried.
The NS records provided will be cached. Then one of those servers will be
queried, returning (in addition to the answer) the other NS records, which
will replace the records cached shortly before.

Since the A record has a TTL of four hours, queries in the next four hours
will be returned directly from the cache.

After four hours, the dnsrouter.com NS records (which also have a TTL of
four hours), will have expired. Therefore, they will never be queried and
resolution will start at the GTLD or root servers.

Alex

Old August 23rd 04, 10:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Sumner

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:20:32 +0100, "Alex Fraser"
wrote:

"Peter Sumner" wrote in message
.. .
[snip]
Looks like something bad has happened to your DNS which you need to
get whoever provides it to sort out. According to .com
uksecurewebhosting.net have the nameservers for asktoby.com, but while
they have the address they say that dnsrouter.com are responsible

[snip]
The two name servers at dnsrouter.com don't seem to respond to queries

Can you think of any reason why this would cause the observed problem
though?

No but as you said it is odd to put it mildly. From where I sit I can
resolve asktoby.com. I suspect that Toby will get different answers
from where he sits, he could try running nslookup or dig himself and
post the results.

--
Peter Sumner
Old August 24th 04, 01:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian

[...]

Hi Toby.

I think you need to look closer to home. The problem lies in your network by
the look of it.
have you assigned the DNS suffix on any machine to asktoby.com or in the
router. Because what you are describing is the same as I have here except
my router now tells DNS requests that port 80 for bathfordhill.co.uk is at
another ip address where as all other ports are on my network.
what do you get if you do an ipconfig on the windoze box. Also why dont you
just put the routers ip address in the dns entry on the PCs then add the DNS
entry to the router and get it to forward the requests.

Good luck

Ian
www.cyber-cottage.co.uk

Old August 24th 04, 08:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Toby Newman

have you assigned the DNS suffix on any machine to asktoby.com or in the
router.

Not that I am aware of. I pay a company to host asktoby.com so it is on a
completely different network to my home LAN.

what do you get if you do an ipconfig on the windoze box.

===========
C:\Documents and Settings\Tobyipconfig
Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
C:\Documents and Settings\Toby
===========

Also why dont you
just put the routers ip address in the dns entry on the PCs then add the

DNS
entry to the router and get it to forward the requests.

I'm afraid I don't think I can do this. I've investigated my router admin
page, and the entry for DNS is uneditable. It's a Linksys BEFSR41, and both
DNS entries are to NTLs DNS servers. I guess they must be detected
automatically? I don't remember filling that in myself, but I installed it
quite a while ago now

Toby