Wireless Networking - PLEASE HELP

Old August 22nd 04, 05:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Karen

Default Wireless Networking - PLEASE HELP

Hi
I have a desktop and two laptops (desktop and one laptop running XP, the
other laptop running Win98) The laptop running 98 and the desktop are
working fine on my wireless network, but I cant get the laptop running XP on
the network. I am using a USB wirless adaptor on this laptop and it says it
is connected to the network yet when I go into My Network places I cannot
see other computers on the network, nor can I connect to the internet. It
has a correct IP address assigned by DHCP (although this occationally drops)
but it cannot not ping any other computer on the network, nor can it ping
the router.

Can someone please help??

Old August 22nd 04, 07:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Karen

Any further suggestions, I am at a complete loss??
"Agere Wala" wrote in message
workgroup wouldnt make any difference.. if he cant ping each others
then obvious connection problem

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 17:45:41 GMT, "mike" wrote:

workgroups the same?

mike

"Karen" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old August 22nd 04, 07:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Lloyd

"Karen" wrote in message

[...]

Are the other two adapters USB also? If they are you could try swapping
it round to see if you have a broken USB adapter.

Will the DHCP IP Address Release and Renew?
And you could try a static ip address and see what that does.

When you say 'although this occasionally drops' do you mean the DHCP IP
address go's missing or does it loose the network link all together?

Chris

Old August 22nd 04, 08:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Karen

Hi Chris
I mean the DHCP IP address changes. I've tried 'repair' but it won't allow
me to. On the task bar it says that the wireless connection is good.

I've also tried a different usb adapter and that has the same problems.

If I assign a static IP address it also asks for the DNS. Whats this? and
where do i find it?

I have tried everything I know and still can't solve it.

If you have any further suggestions I would be very grateful.

Karen

Old August 22nd 04, 08:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Lloyd

"Agere Wala" wrote in message

workgroup wouldnt make any difference.. if he cant ping each others
then obvious connection problem

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 17:45:41 GMT, "mike" wrote:

workgroups the same?

mike

"Karen" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

DNS = Domain Name Service
This is for converting Domain Names to IP Addresses for accessing the
internet

You can find out your DNS server IP Address's by typing 'ipconfig /all'
in command prompt on your working XP computer.

If you have trouble with that just try these one's
194.73.73.172
194.73.73.173
217.32.252.225

Chris