Hacked off with computers

Old August 23rd 04, 04:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Vans

Default Hacked off with computers

Do you every get this way??

I'm trying to get two computers to talk to each other and getting nowhere.

The nice American lady on the helpline seems to have problems with simple
English, and I really am getting hacked off.

Here's my problem, and I would really appreciate some help.

I have two computers at home a desktop and a laptop, both systems use XP
home.

The desktop is cabled to a Belkin wireless modem/router from an onboard LAN
connection. It connects to the net, and everything works as it used to,
although some websites are a bit slow to load (I think that may be down to
the onboard firewall of the routers).

The laptop has a Belkin cardbus wireless network card, which was the easiest
thing I've ever set up. It connects to the net and email, and the websites
that are slow to load on the desktop load fine on the laptop.

But can I get the two bl****y things to talk to each other? Not a chance.

Both computers ping each other with no problems, but in XP I can't find any
workgroup computers. I've run the 'create a network' wizard, I've load files
from the XP disc onto both systems, but still they can't see each other, so
I can't share files or printers - can anyone help? Please?

Email:
Tel: 0700 580 1116
Fax: 0700 580 1117

Old August 23rd 04, 04:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:37:59 +0100, "Vans"
wrote:

Both computers ping each other with no problems, but in XP I can't find any
workgroup computers. I've run the 'create a network' wizard, I've load files
from the XP disc onto both systems, but still they can't see each other, so
I can't share files or printers - can anyone help? Please?

have you turned off the XP firewall on both machines internal
connection (a padlock shows on the connection icon)

I believe this blocks networking.

If its not that, you either need guest account enabling on both or the
same user/password combinations on both, so that the remote has
permission to view.

Also have you set up a folder and/or printer as shared at each end so
there is something to see ?

Does the Belkin have a firewall that needs to be told to allow Netbios
over TCP/IP to pass between the wireless and wired worlds ?

Finally (or maybe first) make sure that Netbios over tcp/ip is forced
at both ends by looking at the WINS tab of Advanced on Properties of
the TCP/IP. Check enable , rather than the default which is ask the
server.

'net user' from a command prompt will show available users, case may
be an issue in username or password.

'net view' shows machines it can see. Sometimes putting the other
computer name into the run box works, check you have the same
workgroup and different names for both on the Computer name tab of
properties of My Computer (right mouse My Computer off the start menu)

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old August 23rd 04, 09:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Vans says...

Both computers ping each other with no problems, but in XP I can't find any
workgroup computers. I've run the 'create a network' wizard, I've load files
from the XP disc onto both systems, but still they can't see each other, so
I can't share files or printers - can anyone help? Please?

Here you go:

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sectio...le64-page1.php

--
Conor

Old August 24th 04, 10:22 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave

Vans wrote:

Do you every get this way??

I'm trying to get two computers to talk to each other and getting nowhere.

Firewalls ? Turn each off and try again if enabled - or tell each that
your local LAN is Ok.

Dave