Network Prob

Old August 23rd 04, 05:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mutley

Default Network Prob

"DC" wrote in message
Hi we have recentally had our garage converted into a bedroom for my son,
today i have decided to add his machine to the network, we use a Belkin

54g
Wireless Router which is situted inside the house downstairs, all other
machines inside the house get a very good/excellent signal, the one in his
room is about 12m away from the router, all the machines have a Belkin 54g
PCI card, his signal is only very low/low, and it keeps disconnecting.

What could i do to improve the signal are there any attenas i could add or

better router? or pci card?

Thanks

What OS is he using ?

Old August 23rd 04, 06:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rex D Last

I have the same problem with a similar set-up except I'm running W98SE. The
range is greatly less than that claimed. I have had lots of advice. The
one thing that has helped, but not enough, is to move the wireless router as
high in the house as possible. I am 'assured' that adding a wireless access
point (e.g. Belkin 7130) would solve the problem but am reluctant to spend
yet more money.

--
Rex
Rex D Last Somerset UK)
"DC" wrote in message
Windows XP Pro

Old August 23rd 04, 06:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
DC

Hi we have recentally had our garage converted into a bedroom for my son,
today i have decided to add his machine to the network, we use a Belkin 54g
Wireless Router which is situted inside the house downstairs, all other
machines inside the house get a very good/excellent signal, the one in his
room is about 12m away from the router, all the machines have a Belkin 54g
PCI card, his signal is only very low/low, and it keeps disconnecting.

What could i do to improve the signal are there any attenas i could add or a
better router? or pci card?

Thanks

Old August 24th 04, 07:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rex D Last

I'm told that the router and the WAP should be separated within the area of
the computers which are being served.
--
Rex
Rex D Last Somerset UK)
"DC" wrote in message
If i got a wireless access point would i just put it beside the router?

"Rex D Last" wrote in message
. ..
I have the same problem with a similar set-up except I'm running W98SE.

The
range is greatly less than that claimed. I have had lots of advice.

The
one thing that has helped, but not enough, is to move the wireless

router
as
high in the house as possible. I am 'assured' that adding a wireless

access
point (e.g. Belkin 7130) would solve the problem but am reluctant to

spend
yet more money.

--
Rex
Rex D Last Somerset UK)
"DC" wrote in message
Windows XP Pro

Old August 24th 04, 02:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jon

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:51:47 GMT, DC wrote:

Hi we have recentally had our garage converted into a bedroom for my son,
today i have decided to add his machine to the network, we use a Belkin 54g
Wireless Router which is situted inside the house downstairs, all other
machines inside the house get a very good/excellent signal, the one in his
room is about 12m away from the router, all the machines have a Belkin 54g
PCI card, his signal is only very low/low, and it keeps disconnecting.

What could i do to improve the signal are there any attenas i could add or a
better router? or pci card?

Thanks

Hi.
A few things to consider. If you can connect an external antenna to
the card that might help or you can get another AP, configure as a
client and connect to your sons PC with a crossover cable, this way
you can pretty well put the AP where ever you want in the
garage/bedroom.
Might be worth while changing the direction the PC is facing to see if
that helps ( give you some idea of how much more signal you need ).
Just a thought, did you line the walls of the garage with foil backed
paper or similar during the conversion? That would help kill the
signal.

Jon

--

Mail sent to the above address doesn't get read.
To send email replace domain with fastmail.co.uk