WiFi Channels

Old August 24th 04, 10:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default WiFi Channels

UK WiFi has13 channel options but I understand they overlap and
actually here are effectively only three, these being 3, 7 and 11

What would be the possible advantage of using channel 1 or 13?

Reason I ask is that I have tied various channels on my own home
network but find no noticable difference; I often find the network
indicator varying from 11 to 5.5, down to 2 and on occasions lose a
signal only to get it back again.

This is without moving and no obvious change in environment.

Geoff Lane

Old August 24th 04, 10:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:23:54 +0100, Geoff Lane
wrote:

UK WiFi has13 channel options but I understand they overlap and
actually here are effectively only three, these being 3, 7 and 11

1, 6 and 11 have no overlap. This doesn't mean there are only three
channels, it means there are 3 with no risk of interference from each
other. In the UK 12 and 13 are going to interfere with 7 and 8 either.

The sensitivity curve is bell shaped so if you are using 6 and someone
else is on 2 you won't suffer much unless they have a really powerful
signal. So 1, 5, 9 and 13 will give you 4 channels with modest risk of
interfering with each other. This is normally only an issue if you are
putting multiple access points in the same space.

In terms of performance you will see some difference from the lower
channels having a longer range, but only marginally so. Switching
channels should only help with interference, looking with Netstumbler
etc will reveal any competing networks.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old August 25th 04, 05:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:53:35 +0100, Phil Thompson
wrote:

UK WiFi has13 channel options but I understand they overlap and
actually here are effectively only three, these being 3, 7 and 11

1, 6 and 11 have no overlap. This doesn't mean there are only three
channels, it means there are 3 with no risk of interference from each
other. In the UK 12 and 13 are going to interfere with 7 and 8 either.

Apologies, don't follow this one, are you saying 12&13 will or will
not interfere with 7&8

The sensitivity curve is bell shaped so if you are using 6 and someone
else is on 2 you won't suffer much unless they have a really powerful
signal. So 1, 5, 9 and 13 will give you 4 channels with modest risk of
interfering with each other. This is normally only an issue if you are
putting multiple access points in the same space.

So is there any advantage in using an overlap channel rather that one
of the three non overlaps?

Geoff Lane