Netgear DG834G fault or my ISP?

Old August 25th 04, 09:20 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Philip Rayne

Default Netgear DG834G fault or my ISP?

I have a USB BT Voyager Modem which when plugged in
www.adslguide/tools/speedtest/asp gives my download speeds of 1400KBps -
1800KBps (on Bulldogs PrimeTime 2000 package).

My problem is when I plug my router in (my Netgear DG834G) speedtest tells
me I am getting between 300Kbps and 700Kbps. I have configured the MTU in
the router and on the PC for 1500 and this hasn't helped. As far I as can
tell everything else is configured correctly. I have also tried a factory
reset, and am on version 1.05.00 of the firmware.

I am on my 2nd DG834G as the first one went back due a fault. Can anyone
tell me if the problem is
1) With my router - its another faulty one
2) With the model in general - it won't work well with ISPs that offer
datastream
3) With all routers - there is always a hit with the download speeds
4) With speedtest - the firewall or something might be interfering with the
results
5) With Bulldog - something is not setup right there.

This is a wireless router and I have double checked that by turning off the
wireless access point, that no one is stealing my bandwidth as best I can.

Please, if someone could give me sone advise I would appreciate it. I
bought the router from Ebuyer and I am getting fed up of having to pay to
send faulty routers back to them...

Old August 25th 04, 11:12 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tony

"Philip Rayne" wrote in message
[...]

You must have been unlucky to get trouble with two DG834G units (if the
latest one is faulty) as I have two of these units and a friend of mine has
one, and they are great. Mine runs 24/7 with a problem. Only time it gets a
reboot is if we get a power cut. All mine running 1.05.00. Excellent bit
of kit.......

Old August 25th 04, 11:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:20:45 +0100, "Philip Rayne"
wrote:

I have configured the MTU in
the router and on the PC for 1500 and this hasn't helped.

have you tried a smaller number like 1450 on both router and PC ?
shouldn't be this issue if the USB modem uses 1500.

Try doing a download from a Bulldog server with FTP and recording the
transfer speed - does it show the same issues.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old August 25th 04, 11:52 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Philip Rayne

"Tony" wrote in message

[...]

This is what worries me. For the life of me I cannot think why it would be
my PC at fault so it must be the router right? The last thing I want it so
get another one sent to me if it is the same problem...

The ADSL firmware is 1.00.09.00 - I have seen references to version
1.01.00.00 on the internet but no specific upgrade to it.

Also, when I backup my settings and try to do a restore it fails... not
promising when I know I will have to input all the settings again...

Old August 25th 04, 01:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tiny Tim

"Philip Rayne" wrote in message
I have a USB BT Voyager Modem which when plugged in
www.adslguide/tools/speedtest/asp gives my download speeds of 1400KBps -
1800KBps (on Bulldogs PrimeTime 2000 package).

My problem is when I plug my router in (my Netgear DG834G) speedtest tells
me I am getting between 300Kbps and 700Kbps. I have configured the MTU in
the router and on the PC for 1500 and this hasn't helped. As far I as can
tell everything else is configured correctly. I have also tried a factory
reset, and am on version 1.05.00 of the firmware.

I just ran the same test from the website above (correct link here -
http://www.adslguide.org/tools/speedtest.asp) and got a download speed of
458Kbps/494Kbps from my DG835G on a 512Kb connection. I repeated the test
and got identical results.

My MTU is set at 1458 on the router while my Win XP Pro SP2 laptop is set to
default values (automatic detection?) for MTU etc.. Router is connected
using PPPoA. I have seen it connected using PPPoE when I first got it and
the MTU was different then (1492?) I'm running 1.05.00 firmware.

According to the help text in the router config pages an MTU of 1500 is for
a router connecting to ethernet on the WAN side, not ADSL. I'd see whether
your router is connecting as PPPoA or PPPoE and setting MTU at 1458 or 1492
respectively on the router.

Old August 25th 04, 01:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Zontag

Philip Rayne wrote:
"Tony" wrote in message

"Philip Rayne" wrote in message

This is what worries me. For the life of me I cannot think why it would be
my PC at fault so it must be the router right? The last thing I want it so
get another one sent to me if it is the same problem...

The ADSL firmware is 1.00.09.00 - I have seen references to version
1.01.00.00 on the internet but no specific upgrade to it.

Also, when I backup my settings and try to do a restore it fails... not
promising when I know I will have to input all the settings again...

Might be better to take the question to the Bulldog Forum at the
adsguide.org.uk ---- the Bulldog section is particularly busy forum
(way out of proportion to the number of actual Bulldog customers ! as
Marge Simpson wouls say "hmmm" ) but from a quick glance at the posts
t it seems you are not the only one with the problem. a lot of users
ain't happy with Bulldog.

Old August 25th 04, 02:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
According to the help text in the router config pages an MTU of 1500 is
for a router connecting to ethernet on the WAN side, not ADSL. I'd see
whether your router is connecting as PPPoA or PPPoE and setting MTU at
1458 or 1492 respectively on the router.

Out of curiousity, I did some experimentation when I first got ADSL and
found that changing the MTU has only a small effect (~3%) on throughput. I
found that an MTU of 1478 gave the best result.

AIUI, with PPPoA, PPP-encapsulated IP datagrams (packets) are split into 48
byte ATM cells, with the last cell padded (wasting some bandwidth) if
required. According to what I read, the per-packet overhead of PPP is 10
bytes. With an MTU of 1478, plus that 10 bytes, you end up with 1488 bytes
per full-sized packet being split into ATM cells. I do not think it is a
coincidence that 1488 is the greatest multiple of 48 that is less than or
equal to 1510 (ie, the maximum Ethernet MTU plus PPP overhead).

I know very little about Datastream, so maybe it makes a difference.

Alex

Old August 25th 04, 11:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Philip Rayne

Hi, I did a comparison on an FTP test this evening whilst it was connected
to a 512Kb connection (before the off-peak 2Mb starts).

These were the results:
Netgear Router : 19.08MB in 03.41 (88.24 KBPS)
BT USB Voyager : 19.08MB in 01:37 (203.86KBPS)

I have checked my router it connecting as PPPOA using VC mux (that is how I
have set it up). Is there a way of checking that this is really how it is
connecting?