wireless adapters PCI vs USB vs PC card

Old August 25th 04, 05:11 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
[ste parker]

Default wireless adapters PCI vs USB vs PC card

repost from uk.comp.homebuilt, this might be the more relevant group...

Currently have a basic 11mbps wireless setup between desktop laptop
with a D-Link PCI card in the desktop and PC card for the laptop. I
rarely use the connection, tend to prefer just linking the two together
with a crossover cable for file transfer.

Thinking of getting broadband, and therefore a wireless adsl router
w/firewall (eg. Netgear DG834G), and I was just going to replace the
D-link PCI card and PC card with 54mbps Netgear equivalents. Seems I
have the alternative of a USB 54mbps adapter too, which could be used in
both the laptop or the desktop (obviously the PCI card or PC card are
mutually exclusive to the desktop ot laptop respectively). Are these
things actually any good, ie a viable alternative to a PCI card or PC
card? I was thinking I could just get the one USB adapter and use it
whenever with the wireless router to connect either the laptop or
desktop as I needed (would never be both at the same time), is this
possible? I'm assuming the wireless adsl router is standalone after
setup, correct?

cheers,

--
[ste]
Old August 25th 04, 05:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Falcon

"[ste parker]" wrote in message
[...]

I use a DG834G with two MA111 USB adaptors. (The adaptors run at 11mbps, but
that's fine for now) Yes, the router is stand alone (it's rock solid in
operation), and yes, the USB adaptors work very well - and you can shift
them between laptop and desktop as required. I very happy with them.

--
Falcon:
fide, sed cui vide. (L)