Which provider to choose

Old August 25th 04, 07:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Doublehp

Default Which provider to choose

I just moved to UK and plane to get a broadband access; I d like a
rate between 300k and 750k, but I need it to work with Linux.

I have been said that AOL requires MS Windows, and that BT is crapy
.... what about the other providers ?

I found that Tele2 do not do broadband in UK ( I was a Tele2 customer
in France) ... other companies I found are NTL, Tiscali, Onetel, and
Telewest ... what about them with Linux ?
Old August 25th 04, 10:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"Doublehp" wrote in message
om...
I just moved to UK and plane to get a broadband access; I d like a
rate between 300k and 750k, but I need it to work with Linux.

I have been said that AOL requires MS Windows, and that BT is crapy
... what about the other providers ?

I found that Tele2 do not do broadband in UK ( I was a Tele2 customer
in France) ... other companies I found are NTL, Tiscali, Onetel, and
Telewest ... what about them with Linux ?

Pretty much all of them will work with Linux, but few if any will offer
support for it. There are a large number of ADSL providers;
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ should offer some insight.

NTL and Telewest offer broadband via Cable in mutually exclusive areas.
Can't say I'd recommend NTL after they took two weeks to get someone round
to replace my mum's knackered modem (there was a few days delay on account
of nobody in the area having any service anyway). I have no idea about
Telewest.

I use One.Tel for the telephone (you might like to consider this if you will
be making a lot of calls to France, they're pretty cheap) and have no
complaints, but I don't know what their broadband offering is like.

Alex

Old August 25th 04, 10:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George Hewitt

I just moved to UK and plane to get a broadband access; I d like a
rate between 300k and 750k, but I need it to work with Linux.

Pipex and Nildram are the two I usually recommend (ADSL). As far as Linux
goes, you can either risk buying an internal ADSL modem or go for the safe
option and buy a cheapy ADSL router (with built in modem) and then run a
network cable to client machines. There are also reports of people managing
to get the Alcatel Speedtouch modems working with Linux, which many
providers supply as a USB modem.

Just as an aside, I have NTL broadband and pipe it through my Linux
router/server for the rest of the family, and can recommend it personally.
The service is very good apart from the email that they provice
@ntlworld.com (very problematic at present). Experiences with customer
services are mixed, it depends who you talk to.

Good luck

Old August 25th 04, 10:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Stanton

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:42:19 -0700, Doublehp wrote:

I just moved to UK and plane to get a broadband access; I d like a
rate between 300k and 750k, but I need it to work with Linux.

I have been said that AOL requires MS Windows, and that BT is crapy
... what about the other providers ?

I found that Tele2 do not do broadband in UK ( I was a Tele2 customer
in France) ... other companies I found are NTL, Tiscali, Onetel, and
Telewest ... what about them with Linux ?

Metronets support use Linux and will answer questions on using Linux with
their service.
Usual disclaimer.

Dave

Old August 25th 04, 10:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"George Hewitt" wrote in message
Just as an aside, I have NTL broadband and pipe it through my Linux
router/server for the rest of the family, and can recommend it personally.
The service is very good apart from the email that they provice
@ntlworld.com (very problematic at present).

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It's been problematic, to a greater or lesser
degree, for the last four years. Basic connectivity, OTOH, has not been too
bad.

Experiences with customer services are mixed, it depends who you talk to.

That's true. When CM tech support was 24 hours, they were pretty good on the
whole. Generally I would say not so good lately, but with exceptions.

Alex

Old August 26th 04, 09:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Zontag

Doublehp wrote:

I just moved to UK and plane to get a broadband access; I d like a
rate between 300k and 750k, but I need it to work with Linux.

I have been said that AOL requires MS Windows, and that BT is crapy
... what about the other providers ?

I found that Tele2 do not do broadband in UK ( I was a Tele2 customer
in France) ... other companies I found are NTL, Tiscali, Onetel, and
Telewest ... what about them with Linux ?

At least two of those I would give a very wide berth !!!!!!!

Go to http://www.adslguide.org.uk and see how the customer rating
compare also browse the message board forums -- you will soo see who to
avoid. after a bad experience with BT yahoo I migrated to Zen (
http://www.zen.co.uk ) ---- nice people, good suport, plain vanila
internet with good spam and virus filtering, static IP addressing.
Only downside with Zen is you only get one POP3 mail box although it allows.

However hold fire untill the second week in September before making a
decision as a number of major changes in how most ISPs package and price
broadband are expected.

My Linux and PC boxes connect through a cheap Conexant chipset ADSL
router without problem --- might be best to give packages that offer a
"free" usb modem a wide berth as the few modem types that have drivers
available for Linux are a fiddle to install, just look for "wires only".