Cat6 Gigabit. Any gurus / PhD / knowledgeable people around?

Old August 27th 04, 08:08 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Odie Ferrous

Default Cat6 Gigabit. Any gurus / PhD / knowledgeable people around?

In order to provide better security for my clients and to improve the
management of their data on my network, I am moving to a storage server
on my LAN. Previously all workstations had their own storage drives and
CD / DVD writers.

I worked out a while ago that 10/100 was always going to be far too slow
- copying 30GB of data on a 10/100 is tedious at best.

Recent weeks have seen me testing Cat6 and Gigabit networking.

In all tests I have run, not one of the configurations I used (mainly
using different brands of Cat6 cable) managed to exceed about 400Mb /
second in data transmission.

I know that the full 1Gb speed of Gibabit is theoretical, but given that
the best quality cable is going to give the best speeds, can anyone
recommend a manufacturer / supplier of quality cable and fittings?

I have heard that 800Mb / second is easily attainable, but they
neglected to provide information on the hardware.

Thanks.

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts
Old August 27th 04, 07:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Walker

"Odie Ferrous" wrote in message
[...]

It is usually the workstations that are the bottleneck. They simply cannot
sustain gigabit throughput. Hard disks and memory are usually the culprits.

Rob