2.4 GHz Interference

Old August 28th 04, 11:59 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default 2.4 GHz Interference

I haven't experimented too much with this yet as the product is quite
new but I've got a 2.4 GHz video sender unit to transmit my Sky
signals.

Presently this is set to channel one (1) which the manual states is
2.414 GHz.

Every time I send or receive data on my home WiFi network there is
picture and sound interference on the TV.

I tried changing my WiFi network to channel 13 which is 2.472 GHz and
still there is interference. I thought the idea of seperate channels
was to avoid this.

Having said that if I use my microwave oven I cannot use my WiFi
network or watch the TV :-((((

Geoff Lane

Old August 29th 04, 02:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
I haven't experimented too much with this yet as the product is quite
new but I've got a 2.4 GHz video sender unit to transmit my Sky
signals.

Presently this is set to channel one (1) which the manual states is
2.414 GHz.

Every time I send or receive data on my home WiFi network there is
picture and sound interference on the TV.

I tried changing my WiFi network to channel 13 which is 2.472 GHz and
still there is interference. I thought the idea of seperate channels
was to avoid this.

Having said that if I use my microwave oven I cannot use my WiFi
network or watch the TV :-((((

Geoff Lane

Its called brain-dead band planning. The people who gave this band for
these uses knew they would interfere with one another. We've got WiFi,
Bluetooth and Video Senders all using the same band, and almost the same
frequency. They are too close together and theres basically very little you
can do apart from separating the sources of interference until they don't
interfere anymore. Of course, this can be easier said than done. The only
thing I could suggest is lowering the output power of the WiFi, if you don't
need the extra range and/or adding a director to the WiFi aerial which will
direct all the RF power in one particular direction (hoprfully) away from
other sources like your video sender receive unit. see www.tritium.co.uk
These aerial do work, I use one myself to direct power towards my required
WiFi area and away from a neighbours WiFi. Good results are had from these.
Theres always Ebay for the video senders if all else fails. : - )

Old August 29th 04, 02:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
THe NuTTeR

[...]

: - )

Alternatively, use 802.11a, the same speed as g, but on a different
frequency, and less likely to be hacked because less people have the
equipment to be able to access it.
Just my 2p