Home network using phone sockets

Old August 28th 04, 02:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Jones

Default Home network using phone sockets

A few weeks ago I asked for help on the newsgroup and was given lots of
constructive advice by members - the problem turned out to be a firewall. I
have now suceeded in setting up a network between my 2 pc's by using a PCI
card in each machine that connects directly into the nearest phone socket.
So each machine can access the other's files and I can share a printer.
BUT, whenever I use any of the house phones for either an incoming or
outgoing call the broadband connection (which is via an Alcatel Speedtouch
modem) drops out. I have a filter on each phone line that was supplied by my
ISP - Pipex. Any thoughts?

Dave

Old August 28th 04, 05:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 13:07:38 +0100, "David Jones"
wrote:

I have a filter on each phone line that was supplied by my
ISP - Pipex. Any thoughts?

you are using a HomePNA or similar network that carries over your
phone cables in the house ?

do you have a filter on each phone / fax / skybox ? you should have.

is it any different if the networking stuff is unplugged from the
phones ie does the ADSL still drop out when using a phone without the
networking connected.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old August 28th 04, 05:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Jones

Phil,

I have an Intellinet PCI phone network card in each of my 2 machines - they
only cost about 11 each so it seemed a pretty cost effective way to set up
a network. A flylead goes directly from each card into the telephone socket
on the wall. I have a filter on each phone in the house and have tried
removing all the filters - the broadband connection still drops out when the
phone is used. As I am writing this the network is not connected and the
broadband will drop out if the phone is used.

The pc's recognise the PCI cards as 'AMD-PCnet Home based network
adapters' - presumably a generic term. Interestingly BT are selling 'Home
Networking 1200' that seems to work on a similar principle in that it uses
PCI cards and a broadband modem and clearly states that you can use the
existing telephone extension points in the house as long as they are on the
same telephone line. Obviously I didn't buy my bits from BT so they may not
be sympathetic to a request for advice. On the other hand I suppose I have
nothing to lose by asking them.

dave

Old August 28th 04, 06:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:22:18 +0100, "David Jones"
wrote:

I have a filter on each phone in the house and have tried
removing all the filters - the broadband connection still drops out when the
phone is used. As I am writing this the network is not connected and the
broadband will drop out if the phone is used.

the filters are required on the phones, the symptoms you describe are
those of low quality or faulty filters.

The network is innocent as you have the problem with the PCI cards not
plugged into the phone sockets - correct ?

I would try removing all but one phone and getting a good quality
filter on that as a starter. You may also find a microfilter on the
ADSL modem connection helps (if it isn't on one already) - try
borrowing one off a phone and leaving the phone unplugged.

Does your modem give you any SNR or line quality stats ?

(there isn't any other phone/fax/PC modem/Sky box/analogue PC modem
etc on the line that isn't filtered, I assume)

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...q2/bt-1200.asp is a
review of the BT kit, it concludes "whilst HomePNA only runs at up to
10Mbps, the sharing of the connection over the phone is stable and
happily co-exists with the ADSL signal."

http://www.bt.com/homenetworking does have some resources that show
configuration of networks etc, but we know its not the network :-)

Phil
Old August 28th 04, 07:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Jones

Phil,

The filters are as supplied by Pipex - 'DSL Filter; Excelsus Z-blocker Model
Z-420UK-A' They cost about 8 each I think. Is there a British Standard
for filters? Must say that filter quality is not something I had
considered. I will have another fiddle once I can raise the energy to crawl
under the desk and reach behind the filing cabinet to get to the socket
upstairs!

Thanks for your suggestions.

Dave

Old August 28th 04, 08:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:46:02 +0100, "David Jones"
wrote:

Is there a British Standard
for filters?

no, there's a BT SIN I think
http://www.sinet.bt.com/346v2p5.pdf

some dissection of filters at
http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php

Phil
Old August 29th 04, 09:15 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
AJ

David Jones wrote:
Phil,

The filters are as supplied by Pipex - 'DSL Filter; Excelsus Z-blocker Model
Z-420UK-A' They cost about 8 each I think. Is there a British Standard
for filters? Must say that filter quality is not something I had
considered. I will have another fiddle once I can raise the energy to crawl
under the desk and reach behind the filing cabinet to get to the socket
upstairs!

Thanks for your suggestions.

Dave

http://www.adslnation.co.uk/products/xf-1e.php

Check these out Dave, I have known quite a few failures of the stock BT
ADSL filters, these ones stopped line dropping and interference on the
phone line when I fitted them to my ADSL set up.

The line has not dropped (except when my wife unplugged it by accident!)
on my Pipex connection since I installed them.(getting on for 12 months
now)

AJ
Old August 29th 04, 10:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Jones

AJ,

Thanks for your thoughts. I popped down to my local Computer Fair today and
they only had unbranded filters at about 4 so I left them there! Just
visited the site you recommended and have decided to bite the bullet and
invest in their quality filters - I'm too far down this road to do
otherwise!

dave