HELP: Accessing C$ Share On Workgroup Computers

Old August 28th 04, 03:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Hardeep Rakhra

Default HELP: Accessing C$ Share On Workgroup Computers

Hello,

I asked about this few weeks back, but then didn't get a chance to
follow it up or find a solution.

Basically i want to connect to the C$ share on the computers on my home
network, all running XP Pro with SP2.

When I try and connect to the C$ share I get a connect to prompt with
the username prefilled and grayed out with COMPUTERNAME/Guest.

There is a Administrator account on both machines and i thought I'd be
able to use those credentials to connect, but since the username part is
geryed out i can't do anything.

Anyhow idea how i get this to work?

Hardeep.
Old August 30th 04, 03:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Hardeep Rakhra

Rob Morley wrote:

I suspect you need to set up a user with admin privileges that isn't the
default Administrator account, as Administrator is a different user on
each machine even though it has the same name.

Hello Rob,

But wouldn't that mean I'd have to have a different set of credentials
for each and every machine I want to remotely connect to?

Even so, it still doesn't explain why when i try to get at C$ i get a
prompt where the user name feild is prefilled with guest and is grayed
out :O(

If i got the connect to prompt and was allowed to fill in the details of
the administrator account, it should work as i see it.

Hardeep.
Old August 30th 04, 04:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:48:29 +0100, Hardeep Rakhra
strung together this:

But wouldn't that mean I'd have to have a different set of credentials
for each and every machine I want to remotely connect to?

No, or yes. If you had every machine set up with a different set of
credentials then yes, you'd have to log in with those credentials.
OTOH, if you set upa seperate Administrator account on each PC with
the same username and password then you can use the same set of
credentials to log on with.

Even so, it still doesn't explain why when i try to get at C$ i get a
prompt where the user name feild is prefilled with guest and is grayed
out :O(

The C$ share is the default guest account. If you right click on the
drive\folder that you want to share and click sharing you then add a
new share and call it what you like and let whoever you want access
it. You can let everyone access it withoout having to insert any
credentials.

If i got the connect to prompt and was allowed to fill in the details of
the administrator account, it should work as i see it.

It will, if you set up a new share with administrator priveleges. The
C$ share will only allow you in as a guest.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old August 31st 04, 10:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Hardeep Rakhra

Lurch wrote:

The C$ share is the default guest account. If you right click on the
drive\folder that you want to share and click sharing you then add a
new share and call it what you like and let whoever you want access
it. You can let everyone access it withoout having to insert any
credentials.

That works for sharing a regular folder, but say i share out the C drive
and the go to it i see everything in the root fine apart from system
folders like Windows, Program Files, and User Profiles. They all give
me permission denied errors. And it's the profiles and windows directory
i want to remotely manipulate.

Hardeep.
Old September 1st 04, 12:32 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mike

Default Accessing C$ Share On Workgroup Computers

your cannot do this to c$
it's the machines remote admin connect.
create another (new) sharename.

mike

"Hardeep Rakhra" wrote in message
Hello,

I asked about this few weeks back, but then didn't get a chance to
follow it up or find a solution.

Basically i want to connect to the C$ share on the computers on my home
network, all running XP Pro with SP2.

When I try and connect to the C$ share I get a connect to prompt with
the username prefilled and grayed out with COMPUTERNAME/Guest.

There is a Administrator account on both machines and i thought I'd be
able to use those credentials to connect, but since the username part is
geryed out i can't do anything.

Anyhow idea how i get this to work?

Hardeep.

---

Old September 1st 04, 09:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
lurch

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:03:05 +0100, Hardeep Rakhra
strung together this:

That works for sharing a regular folder, but say i share out the C drive
and the go to it i see everything in the root fine apart from system
folders like Windows, Program Files, and User Profiles. They all give
me permission denied errors. And it's the profiles and windows directory
i want to remotely manipulate.

Ah, I see what you mean now! Can't say I've ever had a problem sharing
things before. Check in folder options to see if the windows system
folders are allowed to be viewed, on both machines, could be that. If
it's not that, then I have no idea I'm afraid.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd