IIS in Windows XP, Security help please.

Old August 29th 04, 01:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve

Default IIS in Windows XP, Security help please.

I have set up a web server that is running IIS in Windows XP. The following
precautions have already been taken, but does anyone have any further ideas
that could maybe further secure the system...

Done already:

Installed Service Pack 2 and updated all Windows Updates to date.
Norton AntiVirus running with autoupdate and always on monitoring
Spyware software installed to check alterations to registry and block them
etc.
Windows SP2 Firewall is running, only port open is HTTP port 80
Harware Firewall is installed, all ports closed except HTTP port 80

Is there anything else I could do with this system to further protect it?
(apart from switching it off!! : - ))

All advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks Steve

Old August 29th 04, 04:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Steve says...
I have set up a web server that is running IIS in Windows XP. The following
precautions have already been taken, but does anyone have any further ideas
that could maybe further secure the system...

Done already:

Installed Service Pack 2 and updated all Windows Updates to date.
Norton AntiVirus running with autoupdate and always on monitoring
Spyware software installed to check alterations to registry and block them
etc.
Windows SP2 Firewall is running, only port open is HTTP port 80
Harware Firewall is installed, all ports closed except HTTP port 80

Is there anything else I could do with this system to further protect it?
(apart from switching it off!! : - ))

I think you've taken all reasonable precautions depending on what the
Admin passwords are. Theres no point going to all of that if you have a
password like "admin".

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.