ABC Idiot Guide to setting up a 2 PC Network

Old August 29th 04, 03:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
KW

Default ABC Idiot Guide to setting up a 2 PC Network

Hello

Can someone tell me where I can download a copy of a total idiots guide to
networking 2 XP PC's.

I have a Voyager 2100 wireless router, and the internet connection on both
PC's are working fine. I have the 2 PC's connected by wires not wireless,
although at some point I will be adding to this with a wireless laptop.
That will be for internet access only.

What I want is simple I think in its nature, and I have run all the wizards
several times.

I am beginning to think that the problem must be in the XP setup. I did
have a netgear hub b4, and that never worked either. Are there other
network software options?

Regards

Kevin Wade

Old August 29th 04, 03:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 14:21:23 +0000 (UTC), "KW" wrote:

a total idiots guide to
networking 2 XP PC's.

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sectio...le64-page1.php
maybe others on http://www.tomsnetworking.com/HowTo.php

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../getsetup.mspx

turning off all firewalls is a good start. The WinXP one can get in
the way - look for the padlock on the conneciton icon in Network
Connections.

If you are using user/password security then either you need the same
users with the same passwords on both machnies, or you need Guest
access enabled. 'net users' from a cmd prompt in the Run box of Start
to show active users. Capitals matter !

Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP by default, its on the WINS tab of Advanced
properties of TCP/IP on the network connection.

Check you can ping from one machine to the other.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old August 29th 04, 10:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
brainz

After trying everything I eventually go my LAN going properly after trying a
tip in these groups.
The tip was to create new user accounts on each machine *with the same login
and password* It worked t.g. (winXP )
brainz