My Network Places File Sharing :-(

Old August 29th 04, 08:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tonka

Default My Network Places File Sharing :-(

System is 100% Wireless
Desktop = XP Home with USB printer attached.
Notebook = XP Pro

both recognise each other when pinging.

I have mastered the settings for printer sharing and have successfully
printed from the Notebook through the Desktop.........great.

Now my problem, when I go into Network Places I am blowed if I can get each
computer to see shared files/folders/drives set on the other computer. I
have done all the settings, Wins/Enable NetBIOS, disable Firewalls,
everything set to share files/folders etc

yes I have googled till my hearts content or in this case discontent but
cannot get the settings right.

can anyone point to a Help for Dummy page that even I can understand.

regs
dj

Old August 29th 04, 09:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tonka

"Tonka" wrote in message
System is 100% Wireless
Desktop = XP Home with USB printer attached.
Notebook = XP Pro

both recognise each other when pinging.

I have mastered the settings for printer sharing and have successfully
printed from the Notebook through the Desktop.........great.

Now my problem, when I go into Network Places I am blowed if I can get

each
computer to see shared files/folders/drives set on the other computer. I
have done all the settings, Wins/Enable NetBIOS, disable Firewalls,
everything set to share files/folders etc

yes I have googled till my hearts content or in this case discontent but
cannot get the settings right.

can anyone point to a Help for Dummy page that even I can understand.

regs
dj

and yes I have just read the post immediately below and I tried all that
info.

dj

Old August 29th 04, 10:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:55:59 +0000 (UTC), "Tonka"
wrote:

yes I have googled till my hearts content or in this case discontent but
cannot get the settings right.

have you shared a folder on both machines ? also when printing from
one to the other is the user of the print job shown as Guest ? If you
don't have Guest enabled the user names and passwords need to match
but I don't think you're there yet - this is currnetly a "network
browsing" problem.

putting the name of the other computer into the Run box of Start can
help, eg \\COMPUTERNAME should show up the shared items - does it ?

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sectio...le64-page6.php might help

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old August 30th 04, 07:03 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tonka

wrote:

yes I have googled till my hearts content or in this case discontent but
cannot get the settings right.

have you shared a folder on both machines ? also when printing from
one to the other is the user of the print job shown as Guest ? If you
don't have Guest enabled the user names and passwords need to match
but I don't think you're there yet - this is currnetly a "network
browsing" problem.

putting the name of the other computer into the Run box of Start can
help, eg \\COMPUTERNAME should show up the shared items - does it ?

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sectio...le64-page6.php might help

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

Phil Yes it does look like a browsing problem.

I don't have names and passwords set up on either machine.....I just prefer
them to fire up into windoz. Must look at that Guest setting
though.........where is it found.

Putting the other comp name into Run box(s) brings up shared files on the
other computer.........some success with this then.

I had already been to toms page6.php and checked those settings. Desktop was
always the master.

thanks for the pointers and I will Percy Veer with this until the end.

dj

Old August 30th 04, 07:11 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tonka

wrote:

[...]

Guest accounts are (were) both off.

dj

Old August 30th 04, 07:34 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tonka

"Tonka" wrote in message
System is 100% Wireless
Desktop = XP Home with USB printer attached.
Notebook = XP Pro

both recognise each other when pinging.

I have mastered the settings for printer sharing and have successfully
printed from the Notebook through the Desktop.........great.

Now my problem, when I go into Network Places I am blowed if I can get

each
computer to see shared files/folders/drives set on the other computer. I
have done all the settings, Wins/Enable NetBIOS, disable Firewalls,
everything set to share files/folders etc

yes I have googled till my hearts content or in this case discontent but
cannot get the settings right.

can anyone point to a Help for Dummy page that even I can understand.

regs
dj

this is how I now stand.

Desktop, My Network Places shows only shared files/folders on itself. When I
select View Workgroup Computers hangs for about 1 minute until a window pops
up stating ****** (workgroup name) is not accessible. You might not have
permission to use this network resource. The list of servers for this
workgroup is not currently available.

Notebook, My Network Places shows only shared files/folders on itself. When
I select View Workgroup Computers the window refreshes and is then headed
****** (workgroup name) and displays a small blue monitor showing the
Notebook name.

I'm getting close.

dj

Old August 30th 04, 08:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tonka

CURED............

disabled NAV altogether on both machines.

Even though I could ping and had set both IP addresses in NAV Firewall it
obviously did not permit full access.

this helped me http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20040722.shtml

thanks
dj

Old August 30th 04, 09:14 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 06:51:53 +0000 (UTC), "Tonka"
wrote:

yippee !