ICS - can't control from client laptop

Old August 30th 04, 12:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sirius

Default ICS - can't control from client laptop

I have a wireless network between a desktop with dialup and a laptop
(both runnng XP)

In Properties for the dialup connection, the box "allow other network
users to control or disable the shared internet connection" is checked
but the entry for this connection is missing from network connections on
the laptop.

The network works fine and the laptop can share the dialup connection
but only when it is connected at the desktop end.

How can I get back control of the connection on the laptop? I've tried
running the network setup wizard several times on both machines.

Old September 1st 04, 02:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sirius

mike wrote:

'always dial my default connection'?

Thanks for the idea but it doesn't seem to be that -
I've just been to "Internet Options" and tried checking it (I usually
have "never dial a connection" checked) but still there is no entry for
the connection on the laptop.
Old September 1st 04, 07:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mike

if the connection to the inet is established on the desktop.
can the laptop then get inet access?
mike

Old September 1st 04, 11:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sirius

mike wrote:

if the connection to the inet is established on the desktop.
can the laptop then get inet access?
mike

Yes it can. The network and ICS works fine, its just that I've lost
control of the connection from the laptop. I can't quite pinpoint the
time when this happened. Recent changes have been windows updates (not
SP2 tho) and a change of modem. I've tried switching Zone Alarm off on
both machines.
Old September 1st 04, 11:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mike

there is a horribly simple answer to this but it has been 5 yrs since i used
ics & dail-up!

some links to things im searcvhing:
http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/net

Old September 1st 04, 11:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mike

Default ICS - found it!

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...rverdialup.htm

mike

Old September 3rd 04, 12:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sirius

mike wrote:

"Sirius" wrote in message

mike wrote:

if the connection to the inet is established on the desktop.
can the laptop then get inet access?
mike

Yes it can. The network and ICS works fine, its just that I've lost
control of the connection from the laptop. I can't quite pinpoint the
time when this happened. Recent changes have been windows updates (not
SP2 tho) and a change of modem. I've tried switching Zone Alarm off on
both machines.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...rverdialup.htm

mike

I've had a good look at
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...rverdialup.htm, but
still haven't got an entry for internet gateway on the client laptop.
Old September 3rd 04, 01:52 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mike

do you mean this?
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...netgateway.htm

one line states it must be done using the wizard else it won't show.
is your problem that even with using the wizard, u can't do it?

mike

"Sirius" wrote in message

Old September 3rd 04, 10:27 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sirius

mike wrote:

do you mean this?
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...netgateway.htm

yes

one line states it must be done using the wizard else it won't show.
is your problem that even with using the wizard, u can't do it?

Yes
I set it up with the wizards - on both machines, and it worked
beautifully for a while. Now that I've lost the "Internet Gateway" entry
on the ICS client laptop and I can't get it back. Yes I've tried
running the wizards again on both machines - but with no success. I can
always go back to an earlier installation on the desktop
and start from scratch again with the network - which should work, but
I've made so many changes since my last image that I was hoping to avoid
that easy but time consuming option - and I'd really like to discover
what the the problem is anyway.

mike

"Sirius" wrote in message