stability of wireless networking

Old August 30th 04, 10:27 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony James

Default stability of wireless networking

Just want to get a feel for whether my experience is normal. I'm
connecting a Netgear WAP to an IBM centrino laptop running XP. I
normally get a signal strentgh of excellent at my desk down to very
good or good over the rest of the house.

However, every so often the connection drops completely, XP flashes up
it's 'a network connection is unplugged' message, then the connection
is regained. This isnt too much of a nuisance at the moment but is
putting me off the purchase of any wireless music streaming devices
that i've been looking at. [in fact the connection has just done
dropped as i write this].

I've not been able to link it to any outside event such as a car going
past. A moment ago there was complete silence here. Is this
behaiviour normal or symptomatic of something?