DLink DSL-G604T NAT+Static configuration

Old August 30th 04, 01:41 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Habu

Default DLink DSL-G604T NAT+Static configuration

I'm trying to configure the new DLink DSL-G604T router to enable both
static and NAT routing. So far all I've accomplished is totally
blocking all my services so I feel it's time to shout for help!

Scenario:
I have a static IP subnet of eight addresses.
Eg: 82.1.1.1 - 82.1.1.8 (255.255.255.248).

The router sits on 82.1.1.2 which leaves me with five usable addresses.
Four of these I want to allocate to servers that should have no
firewall restrictions; totally visible on all ports from the Internet.
The fifth address I want to configure as a NAT gateway so that I can
have a private 192.168 subnet for wireless access with these addresses
allocated via the routers DHCP service.

Is this a feasible scenario or am I losing the plot?
Old August 30th 04, 03:06 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Piers James

I think you need to use the DMZ setting in order to set up a pc as totally
internet facing, and I'm pretty sure it is restricted to one IP address
only.

Old August 30th 04, 03:46 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Habu

Piers James wrote:

I think you need to use the DMZ setting in order to set up a pc as
totally internet facing, and I'm pretty sure it is restricted to
one IP address only.

Thanks Piers, that's the conclusion I was coming to as well. That's
annoying, the old DSL-604+ was more versatile. I could have every
internal address wide-open and then configure the firewall to control
access. In fact, there is no firewall as such that I can find on the
DSL-G604T.

I'm noticing some other issues as well:
Problems with DHCP allocation over wireless
The clock resets on every restart (ntp option not available any longer)
Uptime is screwed, probably due to above time problem.
Woeful information in the log

Pure stubbornness is preventing me from reverting to the older router.
Old August 30th 04, 05:49 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:41:34 +0000 (UTC), Habu
wrote:

I'm trying to configure the new DLink DSL-G604T router to enable both
static and NAT routing. So far all I've accomplished is totally
blocking all my services so I feel it's time to shout for help!

Scenario:
I have a static IP subnet of eight addresses.
Eg: 82.1.1.1 - 82.1.1.8 (255.255.255.248).

The router sits on 82.1.1.2 which leaves me with five usable addresses.
Four of these I want to allocate to servers that should have no
firewall restrictions; totally visible on all ports from the Internet.
The fifth address I want to configure as a NAT gateway so that I can
have a private 192.168 subnet for wireless access with these addresses
allocated via the routers DHCP service.

Is this a feasible scenario or am I losing the plot?

Yes, but you've got the wrong box. If you don't want any firewall
restrictions on your servers, then you don't need a router in the way.

The problem is that you have a combination DSL modem/bridge and an
ethernet router in one box with no way to get at the interface between
the two. It would be easy if you simply connect a hub or switch
between the DSL modem/bridge and the ethernet/wireless router. The
servers would each get one IP address each at the hub or switch. No
router required, just the DSL modem/bridge. Your 5th address with NAT
would be the only one that goes through the router.

I suggest you sell the DSL-G604T and get seperate boxes. I would go
as far as suggest also seperating the router and the wireless (access
point) functions as the router usually ends up under a desk to hide
the wires, while the wireless access point wants to be as high as
possible for better coverage. It also allows you to turn off the
power to the wireless access point when not in use.

There's a minor chance that you have the same headache in the UK as
SBC often supplies in the USA when delivering 5IP addresses. If your
address layout looks like this:
68.111.111.134 IP Address
68.111.111.133 Gateway
68.111.222.73-77 5ea IP's
it requires a completely different scheme. This probably doesn't
apply to your arrangement, but if it does, ask and I can supply
details on how to route that mess.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old August 30th 04, 08:05 PM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Habu

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

[snip]

I suggest you sell the DSL-G604T and get seperate boxes. I would
go as far as suggest also seperating the router and the wireless
(access point) functions as the router usually ends up under a
desk to hide the wires, while the wireless access point wants to
be as high as possible for better coverage. It also allows you to
turn off the power to the wireless access point when not in use.

Jeff, many thanks for such a concise reply. After some mucking around
today I've discovered that I can partially achieve my requirements
using the DSL-G604T: If I don't enable the NAT/Firewall functionality
of the device then all the addresses within my subnet are fully visible
from the Internet. That achieves my needs as far as server connections
go.

Now I'm on the lookout for a wireless hub with built-in NAT
functionality so I can connect my clients!
Old August 31st 04, 02:48 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Perkin

Habu wrote in
:

... After some mucking
around today I've discovered that I can partially achieve my
requirements using the DSL-G604T: If I don't enable the
NAT/Firewall functionality of the device then all the addresses
within my subnet are fully visible from the Internet. That
achieves my needs as far as server connections go.

Now I'm on the lookout for a wireless hub with built-in NAT
functionality so I can connect my clients!

How to configure the device for a No-NAT setup is documented on the
D-Link UK site in the Install Guides document, which is much more
direct and to the point than the manual. Find it he
ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_modems/dsl-g604t/DSL-
G604T_Install_Guides.pdf

You're right, there doesn't seem to be an equivalent to the Multi-NAT
capability of the DSL-604+ which would give you the other
functionality you are looking for.

I understand there is a new firmware release available 'real soon
now'. Whether it will include that functionality I'm not sure.

I suspect that like other similar consumer class kit, the new D-Link
T series devices will eventually become good, reliable, well featured
products - when they're running good, reliable. well featured
firmware. Just in time to be superseded by the next models

They are however technically interesting, running as they do the
embedded BusyBox Linux kernel - which may open up a number of
possibilities...

Hope this helps

--

Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
Old August 31st 04, 02:58 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Rob Morley

In article , "Richard Perkin"
says...
snip
They are however technically interesting, running as they do the
embedded BusyBox Linux kernel - which may open up a number of
possibilities...

BusyBox isn't a kernel, it's an all-in-one shell tool.
Old August 31st 04, 04:57 AM posted to alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Perkin

Rob Morley wrote in
t:

BusyBox isn't a kernel, it's an all-in-one shell tool.

Slip of the keyboard/brain. I believe it runs on uClibc.