Roll-back to SP1?

Old August 31st 04, 03:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking
Falcon

Default Roll-back to SP1?

I have to confess that after the trouble I had making the wireless network
do neat things like share files, printers and the internet connection,
installing SP2 fills me with dread. Is rolling-back easy?

--

Falcon:T
fide, sed cui vide. (L)

Old August 31st 04, 04:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Falcon wrote:
I have to confess that after the trouble I had making the wireless
network do neat things like share files, printers and the internet
connection, installing SP2 fills me with dread. Is rolling-back easy?

Yes , as long as you ticked the appropriate box when installing it.

Just go to add/remove programs and click remove

--
Alex

"We are now up against live, hostile targets"

"So, if Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad
attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch! "

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old August 31st 04, 04:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking
Falcon

"Dr Zoidberg" wrote in message
Falcon wrote:
I have to confess that after the trouble I had making the wireless
network do neat things like share files, printers and the internet
connection, installing SP2 fills me with dread. Is rolling-back easy?

Yes , as long as you ticked the appropriate box when installing it.

Just go to add/remove programs and click remove

Thanks Alex.

--

Falcon:
fide, sed cui vide. (L)

Old August 31st 04, 06:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking
burris

Falcon wrote:
I have to confess that after the trouble I had making the wireless
network do neat things like share files, printers and the internet
connection, installing SP2 fills me with dread. Is rolling-back easy?

Yes , as long as you ticked the appropriate box when installing it.

Just go to add/remove programs and click remove

Thanks Alex.

Might consider this article before rushing to up to SP2

burris
-----------

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.09/view.html?pg=3
Old August 31st 04, 07:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking
Falcon

"burris" wrote in message
. ..

Falcon wrote:
I have to confess that after the trouble I had making the wireless
network do neat things like share files, printers and the internet
connection, installing SP2 fills me with dread. Is rolling-back easy?

Yes , as long as you ticked the appropriate box when installing it.

Just go to add/remove programs and click remove

Thanks Alex.

Might consider this article before rushing to up to SP2

burris
-----------

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.09/view.html?pg=3

Too late; already done. The download took 45 minutes and installation
another 45 but I just let it chunter away - and I'm happy to say that
everything worked like a dream. The network is still solid (Netgear DG834G
router plus MA111 USB adaptor on the laptop) and I can see and work with all
shared folders *and* send jobs to the printer in the office upstairs. Not
only that, but the problem I had under SP1 (with missing icons from the
system tray) has disappeared.

In fact, I'm a very happy bunny.

--

Falcon:
fide, sed cui vide. (L)

Old August 31st 04, 10:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking
Falcon

"Falcon" wrote in message

"burris" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Might consider this article before rushing to up to SP2

burris
-----------

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.09/view.html?pg=3

Too late; already done. The download took 45 minutes and installation
another 45 but I just let it chunter away - and I'm happy to say that
everything worked like a dream. The network is still solid (Netgear DG834G
router plus MA111 USB adaptor on the laptop) and I can see and work with
all shared folders *and* send jobs to the printer in the office upstairs.
Not only that, but the problem I had under SP1 (with missing icons from
the system tray) has disappeared.

SP2 is now rolled-out on the main desktop PC (wired to router) and the
laptop (wireless connection). All file-sharing and print-sharing services
still work and the wireless network is still extremely stable. SP2 even
turned off its own firewall after detecting that McAfee's firewall was
running on the desktop. Frankly, I didn't have to do a thing - it was just
like a fairly normal, (if slightly long), windows update session; so I have
to say, from my perspective, well done Microsoft.

--

Falcon:
fide, sed cui vide. (L)

Old September 1st 04, 10:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking
Quaoar

"Falcon" wrote in message
I have to confess that after the trouble I had making the wireless
network
do neat things like share files, printers and the internet connection,
installing SP2 fills me with dread. Is rolling-back easy?

--

Falcon:T
fide, sed cui vide. (L)

Do some cleanup before installing SP2. Disk cleanup, defrag, sfc
/scannow from a command prompt, no running apps except firewall and
antivirus, set your own SP1 restrore point, remove old restore points,
don't install SP2 during thunderstorms or hurricanes, and lock up the
cat.