Trying to set up home web server

Old August 31st 04, 05:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Toby Austin

Default Trying to set up home web server

Trying to do the above and not getting too far. I've read
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...ips/index.html so
please don't point me there!

I have
NTL Surfboard modem (192.168.100.1)
Netgear 114P firewall router(192.168.0.1)
Web Server (192.168.0.2)

I've added a rule for inbound services to accept all HTTP requests and
to send them to LAN Server 192.168.0.2

I did a tracert and the first line returns 10.139.71.n; I assumed this
to be the address to access my modem and hence my site. However
http://10.139.71.n/mysite/mypage.htm returns 'Cannot find Server'.

I've also looked at the Remote Management settings of the firewall and
it tells me to use the address 213.107.40.n. I've tried this in the
url as well but with the same results. In fact, I can't seem to get
Remote Management to work at all (perhaps that's the problem) as
typing https://213.107.40.n:8080 also fails.

I'm obviously missing something. Any help gratefully received, just
let me know what other information if any you need.

Toby Austin
Old August 31st 04, 06:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George Hewitt

I've added a rule for inbound services to accept all HTTP requests and
to send them to LAN Server 192.168.0.2

I did a tracert and the first line returns 10.139.71.n; I assumed this
to be the address to access my modem and hence my site. However
http://10.139.71.n/mysite/mypage.htm returns 'Cannot find Server'.

Sorry, tracert to where?

What webserver are you running?

Does it work if you go http://localhost from your webserver machine?

Can you view it by going http://192.168.0.2 from your local network?

Take a look at http://www.georgehewitt.co.uk/help/hosting.htm, it might help
a little

HTH

Old September 1st 04, 12:16 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Toby Austin

"George Hewitt" wrote in message ...
I've added a rule for inbound services to accept all HTTP requests and
to send them to LAN Server 192.168.0.2

I did a tracert and the first line returns 10.139.71.n; I assumed this
to be the address to access my modem and hence my site. However
http://10.139.71.n/mysite/mypage.htm returns 'Cannot find Server'.

Sorry, tracert to where?

Anywhere (e.g. www.bbc.co.uk), I just wanted to find out what what my
ntl ip address was. I thought this was an easy way to do it.

What webserver are you running?

IIS - maybe I'm wrong but I don't see what difference this makes.

Does it work if you go http://localhost from your webserver machine?

Yep

Can you view it by going http://192.168.0.2 from your local network?

Yep

Take a look at http://www.georgehewitt.co.uk/help/hosting.htm, it might help
a little

HTH

Had a quick look thanks, but nothing obvious to help me. I guess my
scenario is most similar to number 3.

All I am trying to do is access my web server remotely. If my ntl ip
address is 111.222.333.444, then I should be able to access my site
using the url http://111.222.333.444/mysite/mypage.htm should I not?

Thanks,
Toby Austin
Old September 1st 04, 12:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George Hewitt

Anywhere (e.g. www.bbc.co.uk), I just wanted to find out what what my
ntl ip address was. I thought this was an easy way to do it.

No, that (in your case) will reveal (in the first hop) the IP of your router
and then (in second hop) the IP of your UBR.

All I am trying to do is access my web server remotely. If my ntl ip
address is 111.222.333.444, then I should be able to access my site
using the url http://111.222.333.444/mysite/mypage.htm should I not?

As said in Phoenix's post, the most likely problem you've encountered is
that you've taken the wrong IP. Many IP checkers (including whatismyip.com)
show the IP of NTL's caches when using an NTL connection - useless!

http://checkip.dyndns.org/ works, so get the IP from there and then you can
register for some form of dynamic name service, such as gotdns.com, noip.com
etc etc

HTH

Old September 1st 04, 12:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Toby Austin

[...]

George,

Thanks for your help (particularly concerning tracert); I seem to be
getting somewhere. Please excuse my ignorance, but I need (hopefully)
one last bit of help...

With the router plugged in, I go to http://checkip.dyndns.org/ and it
returns
111.222.333.444. With the router unplugged I get 999.888.777.666.

With the router unplugged, http://999.888.777.666/mysite/mypage.htm
shows my site.

With the router plugged in, either
http://111.222.333.444/mysite/mypage.htm or
http://999.888.777.666/mysite/mypage.htm returns 'Sever not found'.

I've opened up port 80 on my router and directed it to go to
192.168.0.2 (my webserver).

Toby
Old September 1st 04, 01:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George Hewitt

With the router plugged in, I go to http://checkip.dyndns.org/ and it
returns
111.222.333.444. With the router unplugged I get 999.888.777.666.

With the router unplugged, http://999.888.777.666/mysite/mypage.htm
shows my site.

Sorry, but what do you mean by 'router unplugged?' Do you mean that it's
unplugged from the internet or your network?

It would actually be helpful to see what IPs it's actually returning, since
I am able to recognise the different types of NTL IP addresses that you
might be getting. You can mask out the last part if you want (eg
11.22.33.xx).

Thanks,

Old September 1st 04, 02:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
colin.

1. Make sure your webserver is listening on your internal IP address and
NOT YOUR PUBLIC ONE.

For instance, assuming your are running Apache:

Listen 192.168.0.2:80

2. Forward port 80 on your router to 192.168.0.2

Fixed.

Old September 1st 04, 09:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Toby Austin

"George Hewitt" wrote in message ...

With the router plugged in, I go to http://checkip.dyndns.org/ and it
returns
111.222.333.444. With the router unplugged I get 999.888.777.666.

With the router unplugged, http://999.888.777.666/mysite/mypage.htm
shows my site.

Sorry, but what do you mean by 'router unplugged?' Do you mean that it's
unplugged from the internet or your network?

It would actually be helpful to see what IPs it's actually returning, since
I am able to recognise the different types of NTL IP addresses that you
might be getting. You can mask out the last part if you want (eg
11.22.33.xx).

Thanks,

By unplugged I mean it is being bypassed - i.e. I am plugging the
cable modem directly into my PC (i.e. just testing with no
firewall/router).

Toby
Old September 1st 04, 09:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Toby Austin

"colin." wrote in message ...
1. Make sure your webserver is listening on your internal IP address and
NOT YOUR PUBLIC ONE.

For instance, assuming your are running Apache:

Listen 192.168.0.2:80

2. Forward port 80 on your router to 192.168.0.2

Fixed.

Running IIS. The router is forwarding to port 192.168.0.2:80

Toby
Old September 1st 04, 11:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George Hewitt

By unplugged I mean it is being bypassed - i.e. I am plugging the
cable modem directly into my PC (i.e. just testing with no
firewall/router).

Toby

As I said, it would be helpful to actually see the IPs that checkip
returns - you're using Google groups so I can't tell from the headers. You
can mask the last two digits if you prefer.

All this does suggest that your router isn't forwarding properly. I assume
you've already tried rebooting router & modem etc?