IIS vs Apache...????

Old September 1st 04, 02:26 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
gerry

Default IIS vs Apache...????

IIS in Windows XP or Apache Web Server?

I want to set up a web server, but which is the best one, and why?

I want to run three separate web sites from the same computer. I have been
told IIS is easiest to set up, but would I be better using Apache? I want
reliability the most... Can Apache run multiple websites and how easy is it
to set this up?

Thank you.

Gerry

Old September 1st 04, 10:02 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George Hewitt

IIS in Windows XP or Apache Web Server?

I want to set up a web server, but which is the best one, and why?

Have a look at http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials...le.php/3074841
(Google is your friend)

It depends what you want to use the websites for. If you just want a basic
website, HTML, PHP, graphics etc then go for Apache; it has a very small
footprint and is easy to set up with the various GUIs that are around today
(again, Google)

I want to run three separate web sites from the same computer. I
have been told IIS is easiest to set up, but would I be better using
Apache? I want reliability the most... Can Apache run multiple
websites and how easy is it to set this up?

Relialability; go for Apache. It doesn't hold the same danger of security
holes that IIS does. Multiple websites are known as Virtual Hosts and it's
as easy as adding the following to the bottom of your httpd.conf file for
each virtual host (and then restart).

VirtualHost *:80
ServerName www.domain.tld
ServerAlias domain.tld *.domain.tld
DocumentRoot C:\WWW\domain
/VirtualHost

Old September 1st 04, 12:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
gerry

"George Hewitt" wrote in message
[...]

Hi George, Thanks for the reply. I assume that IIS has other features
available that are not in Apache then? Do you happen to know what IIS has
that cannot be done in Apache? I don't want to run any more than a basic
site with pictures, text etc for now.... What I'm really asking is what
does IIS support, that Apache can't handle? (just for my own interest, and
maybe for the future).

Thanks George.

Gerry

Old September 1st 04, 02:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George Hewitt

Hi George, Thanks for the reply. I assume that IIS has other features
available that are not in Apache then? Do you happen to know what
IIS has that cannot be done in Apache? I don't want to run any more
than a basic site with pictures, text etc for now.... What I'm
really asking is what does IIS support, that Apache can't handle?
(just for my own interest, and maybe for the future).

I'm not an IIS guru so I'm afraid I can't go into too much detail. But
offhand, it has native support for ASP scripting (which Apache can't do
without a commercial module now owned by Sun [once called ChiliSoft!ASP])
and integration with Active Directory, as well as a GUI as standard. It
generally has more 'built-in' stuff at installation which is configured with
the touch of a button whereas Apache usually uses external modules which are
introduced through its httpd.conf configuration file.

As long as you don't want/need ASP or the Active Directory integration
(possibly useful for corporate intranets) and don't mind getting dirty with
some easy-to-understand text-based config files, go for Apache.

HTH

Old September 1st 04, 03:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
colin.

"gerry" wrote in message

| Do you happen to know what IIS has that cannot be done in Apache?

Yes, it has lots of massive security holes that no amount of patching and
firewalling will ever fix.

Old September 1st 04, 06:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
gerry

"colin." wrote in message

"gerry" wrote in message

| Do you happen to know what IIS has that cannot be done in Apache?

Yes, it has lots of massive security holes that no amount of patching and
firewalling will ever fix.

Why didn't you just say its CRAP then?
I like people that tell it like it is!

Now running Apache instead, MS can stick their security holes to inself.

Has anyone done a report on IIS vs Apache and pointed out the problems with
IIS?

So I assume that by running Apache instead of IIS, I have just got more
secure!?

Thanks

Old September 1st 04, 07:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
colin.

| So I assume that by running Apache instead of IIS, I have just got more
| secure!?

No, you've just became less susceptible to being exploited than you would be
if you ran IIS

Old September 1st 04, 10:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ferger

gerry secured a place in history by writing:

IIS in Windows XP or Apache Web Server?

Apache. A doddle to set up (it will work out of the box, but config is via
straightforward text files) and has fewer security issues (today) than IIS
by far. My (very large) company uses it all over the place. Equally, I
have it installed on this 3 year old laptop to test web devs before
I publish them and it's rock solid.

Old September 7th 04, 01:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

In message , gerry
writes
IIS in Windows XP or Apache Web Server?

I want to set up a web server, but which is the best one, and why?

I want to run three separate web sites from the same computer. I have been
told IIS is easiest to set up, but would I be better using Apache? I want
reliability the most... Can Apache run multiple websites and how easy is it
to set this up?

Apache is reasonably easy to set up, even for multiple web sites. I
don't think that should be the reason for choosing which server to use.

What scripting languages do you know and were you planning ti use
scripting?

--
Bernard Peek

Old September 7th 04, 09:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Zontag

George Hewitt wrote:
IIS in Windows XP or Apache Web Server?

Relialability; go for Apache. It doesn't hold the same danger of security
holes that IIS does. Multiple websites are known as Virtual Hosts and it's
as easy as adding the following to the bottom of your httpd.conf file for
each virtual host (and then restart).

VirtualHost *:80
ServerName www.domain.tld
ServerAlias domain.tld *.domain.tld
DocumentRoot C:\WWW\domain
/VirtualHost

Amazing how many of the alternative freeware/shareware web servers for
Windows have simply disapeared over the last couple of years -- used to
be dozens and dozens of them available --- I suspect most were killed
by security holes.