Set-up Wireless network

Old September 1st 04, 10:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Watkinson

Default Set-up Wireless network

Good day,

I have a request (with me being a newbie at Wi-Fi). My wife has just picked
up a new laptop from school which is an Acer TravelMate 293ELCi and has
inbuilt wireless networking (802.11b / g) and want to know how I can it to
network with my desktop (my desktop does not yet have a wireless card as I
also ask which would be a good one ) so that she can back-up here files,
print and use my 'net connection (currently dial-up)

Thanks

Dave

Old September 2nd 04, 09:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 21:22:58 +0100, "David Watkinson"
wrote:

and want to know how I can it to
network with my desktop (my desktop does not yet have a wireless card as I
also ask which would be a good one ) so that she can back-up here files,
print and use my 'net connection (currently dial-up)

you could get a USB wireless NIC to plug in the desktop then use
Internet Connection Sharing and Windows Networking which are included
in Windows XP (and 98). The laptop and desktop would form an "ad hoc"
or peer to peer network.

A USB approach saves taking the lid off and gives you some freedom of
placement of the antenna

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old September 2nd 04, 05:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 1 Sep
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "David Watkinson"
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

I have a request (with me being a newbie at Wi-Fi). My wife has just picked
up a new laptop from school which is an Acer TravelMate 293ELCi and has
inbuilt wireless networking (802.11b / g) and want to know how I can it to
network with my desktop (my desktop does not yet have a wireless card as I
also ask which would be a good one ) so that she can back-up here files,
print and use my 'net connection (currently dial-up)

I suggest you check to see if you're actually allowed to do that with a school
laptop first, if I were you. We don't allow it where I work.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk
|- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk
Old September 2nd 04, 11:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Thu, 02 Sep
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk Phil Thompson
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

you could get a USB wireless NIC to plug in the desktop then use
Internet Connection Sharing and Windows Networking which are included
in Windows XP (and 98). The laptop and desktop would form an "ad hoc"
or peer to peer network.

A USB approach saves taking the lid off and gives you some freedom of
placement of the antenna

If he already has a normal NIC, a wireless bridge would probably work better
(no processor load for the USB device then).

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk AC: deKay in Sponge
|- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk Gamertag: deKay 01
Old September 7th 04, 12:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
@TAKETHISOUTyahoo.co.uk>

wrote:

and want to know how I can it to
network with my desktop (my desktop does not yet have a wireless card as I
also ask which would be a good one ) so that she can back-up here files,
print and use my 'net connection (currently dial-up)

you could get a USB wireless NIC to plug in the desktop then use
Internet Connection Sharing and Windows Networking which are included
in Windows XP (and 98). The laptop and desktop would form an "ad hoc"
or peer to peer network.

A USB approach saves taking the lid off and gives you some freedom of
placement of the antenna

Phil

He did say 802.11b / g - so wouldn't USB 1 be painfully slow for
transferring files?
Old September 8th 04, 12:10 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Watkinson

Opening the case does not bother me, I would rather get a better PCI card
than a USB for the price. (if PCI cards area better that is?) What about
USB wireless 'pens' are these effective or is the range quite restricted.

I've been looking at various sites and I'm not sure what to go for in terms
of PCI, USB 'Pen' or USB connection to wireless adapter/access point, any
suggestions.

David