Couple of adsl router (DG834G) questions.....

Old September 2nd 04, 04:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
[ste parker]

Default Couple of adsl router (DG834G) questions.....

I've had a brief look round and abouts via google & google groups
without finding what I was after....

First up, and probably a more general question, I was interested with
the idea of being able to access the router remotely to configure it, or
sort out problems with it. This may be very useful, as I spend time out
of the country and am thinking of sharing an ADSL connection when I get
it, range permitting. The blurb mentions to do this you need to use an
ip address recognisable to the outside world to get in. How would I know
what this is? Would I need a static ip from my isp? If I recieve a
dynamic ip would this stop me connecting remotely, as how will I know
wha the ip is if I am not there? Also, what alterations, if any, would
I need to make to the firewall to allow inbound access of this sort?
Allow restricted access thru port 80 (a guess!)?

Next up, while playing about I connected to a PC both with an ethernet
cable and via wireless at the same time. I had been logged into the
router via ethernet before enabling wireless and did not log out, so at
that point I was confronted with "another admin user already connected"
error with no way out. I switched the router off/on to get round it (or
presumably could have disabled the wireless on the PC), but is it set so
that anyone logged in as admin *has to* log out (and not just close a
browser window) before someone tries to connect from elsewhere as admin?
I had effectively managed to lock myself out of the router settings is
all, with seemingly no way back in bar physically doing something to the
router, or PC. Is there any way of kicking an admin (wouldn't have
thought so, due to security)?

--
[ste]
Old September 2nd 04, 04:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tiny Tim

"[ste parker]" wrote in message
I've had a brief look round and abouts via google & google groups without
finding what I was after....

First up, and probably a more general question, I was interested with the
idea of being able to access the router remotely to configure it, or sort
out problems with it. This may be very useful, as I spend time out of the
country and am thinking of sharing an ADSL connection when I get it, range
permitting.

snip

I haven't put remote access to the test for my router so can't comment on
that aspect of administering a shared service from afar. But one idea I've
seen is to supply power to the router via a timer switch and to force a 1
minute power down and reboot every night at, say 03:00. That way if the
router does go belly up the chances are that it will be sorted once again
ready for the next day.

A bit of a bummer for someone trying to surf at 03:00 but other than that, a
pretty cheap and I would have thought fairly simple solution to resolving
problems that do not require reconfiguring the router.

Old September 3rd 04, 10:09 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Philip Rayne

I log in to my DG834G remotely with no problems. You don't need to setup
port 80 as it is done automatically for you when you turn remote access on.
You can limit the remote connection access to a specific IP address or a
range of IP addresses if you want.

If you create an account with dyndns.org you can configure your router to
automatically update this with your dynamic IP address. Then you access
your router by typing in the URL you have setup with dyndns.org.

As for the Admin bit being locked out I am guessing this is because you had
a different IP address when logging in via the ethernet ports, as opposed to
the wireless access. You can set the time limit an admin can be logged (and
inactive) for before he gets logged out. I think the default is 5 minutes.
I believe this should sort out your concerns.