Problem accessing websites on my server

Old September 2nd 04, 06:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John

Default Problem accessing websites on my server

Can someone help me please. I recently set up a web server and have added
the pages, and it all works fine from other locations (at a friends place)
etc, if I go to the URL that it linked to it. However, if I try logging on
to the same websites from home, via the same LAN that the server runs on,
all I get is a page from my DG834 asking me for a password and username.
Why can't I see the websites from home? If I log onto the local LAN and
type 192.168.0.22 (this is the web server local address) I can access the
sites, but not via the normal way. Can anyone help me. I would like to be
able to use the proper website address, if only to occasionally access the
site to make sure everything is working OK. Help!! (ps the only way I can
do it from home, is to use a dial-up from my lappy to log onto the www from
a different provider...) Not the best or cheapest way to get the end result!

Many Thanks
John

Old September 3rd 04, 07:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
In article , "John"
says...
[...]

Set your browser to use a proxy server - that way your connection is
coming in to your server from the internet rather than from your LAN.
Here's one that works (chosen at random from a quick Google)
194.78.205.246:8080

Thanks Rob... What is a proxy server, and are we allowed to use them? Do
you or any other readers of this group have a list of proxy servers.. The
one you gave me in the reply works but is very slow. Are they all slow?
Sorry my knowledge is poor on the subject... Just learning about all this.
If anyone knows of a fast proxy server I could use, I would appreciate it,
or even a link to a list of good proxy servers.... Are we supposed to use
these proxy servers?

Thanks
John

Old September 3rd 04, 07:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article , "John"
says...
snip
Thanks Rob... What is a proxy server, and are we allowed to use them?

It's just a machine that you connect through to wherever you're going -
they are commonly used for caching (so if several users access the same
page it only has to be downloaded once, reducing internet traffic) or
anonymity (when you connect to a site the site will see the proxy, not
your machine). Some proxies are purposely open, some are accidentally
open, some are only accessible to users on a particular network.

Do you or any other readers of this group have a list of proxy servers..

Google throws up a fair few, like the one that I quoted

The one you gave me in the reply works but is very slow. Are they all slow?

That one belongs to a Belgian ISP (but it was the first one I found, and
it sufficed for demonstration purposes) - you'd do better to find a
local one.

Sorry my knowledge is poor on the subject... Just learning about all this.
If anyone knows of a fast proxy server I could use, I would appreciate it,
or even a link to a list of good proxy servers.... Are we supposed to use
these proxy servers?

Your ISP quite likely has its own HTTP proxies, and it would probably
encourage you to use them as it reduces its network traffic - if you
browse an American site without a proxy you're sending traffic across
the Atlantic, which costs, but if you're using a local proxy that has a
copy of that page already then the traffic doesn't leave your ISPs
network.