Email Finding

Old September 4th 04, 11:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Muggy

Default Email Finding

How do i go about checking to see if an email address exists?

i understand that its bad news with regards to spammers but i want to see if
i can email my work account, as it is an ancient system (Green Screen
Terminals!) and nearly all internal, but some external emails have been sent
to me. i dont want to actually send an email as i may get in trouble.

The address i think ive worked out is: , is
this format possible??

TIA

James
http://www.lethargymusic.co.uk

Old September 4th 04, 11:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
George Hewitt

How do i go about checking to see if an email address exists?

Depends what email server is running on the server where your mailbox is.
Some have different responses that can be used to tell whether an address is
active, but most nowadays won't reveal anything. Google is your friend. The
only surefire way of doing this is sending an email.

i understand that its bad news with regards to spammers but i want to
see if i can email my work account, as it is an ancient system (Green
Screen Terminals!) and nearly all internal, but some external emails
have been sent to me. i dont want to actually send an email as i may
get in trouble.

See above. Why would you get in trouble?

The address i think ive worked out is:
, is this format possible??

No.
is possible, do you mean this?

Old September 5th 04, 12:27 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Muggy

"George Hewitt" wrote in message

How do i go about checking to see if an email address exists?

Depends what email server is running on the server where your mailbox is.
Some have different responses that can be used to tell whether an address

is
active, but most nowadays won't reveal anything. Google is your friend.

The
only surefire way of doing this is sending an email.

i understand that its bad news with regards to spammers but i want to
see if i can email my work account, as it is an ancient system (Green
Screen Terminals!) and nearly all internal, but some external emails
have been sent to me. i dont want to actually send an email as i may
get in trouble.

See above. Why would you get in trouble?

incase i get a virus or the email gets out to all the spammers out there.
wont like to try it until i know where i stand with it.

The address i think ive worked out is:
, is this format possible??

No.
is possible, do you mean this?

No, definately to @'s in the address, strange!

Muggy
http://www.lethargymusic.co.uk

Old September 5th 04, 08:08 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Muggy wrote:
How do i go about checking to see if an email address exists?

i understand that its bad news with regards to spammers but i want to
see if i can email my work account, as it is an ancient system (Green
Screen Terminals!) and nearly all internal, but some external emails
have been sent to me. i dont want to actually send an email as i may
get in trouble.

Try the mail test here
http://www.dnsreport.com/

--
Alex

"We are now up against live, hostile targets"

"So, if Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad
attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch! "

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old September 5th 04, 11:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Owen Rees

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 23:27:56 GMT, "Muggy"
wrote in
:

No, definately to @'s in the address, strange!

There is a format for mail addresses with more than one '@', but it was
being "discouraged" in RFC822 "Standard for ARPA Internet Text Messages"
which was written in 1982. It does not look like the example given
either.

http://web.nps.navy.mil/~miller/percent-hack.html is one of a number
of pages that describes the "percent hack" which was never part of any
standard as far as I know, but was fairly common in days gone by.

--
Owen Rees - opinions expressed here are mine; for a full disclaimer
visit http://homepages.tesco.net/~owen.rees/index.html#disclaimer