connecting winxp to win95 for internet

Old September 5th 04, 10:58 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.win95.networking,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Toolman Tim

Default connecting winxp to win95 for internet

| I was thinking of networking my new p4 2.4G winxppro computer
| with my son's old p1 win95 computer in order for him (win95)
| to get an internet connection from my computer
| because the lady from the cable company told me that it would be much
| cheaper this way rather than adding a second internet connection
| (wall television socket) from the company because I would then have
| to pay double for both connections to the internet.
| my question is will this work?
| what hardware/software will I need to install?
| and is this home-networking feasible?
| thank you for your supporting tips!

Sure...just ask Microsoft...
http://support.microsoft.com/default...2Fhnetwork.asp

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Old September 5th 04, 11:02 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.win95.networking,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Toolman Tim

| | I was thinking of networking my new p4 2.4G winxppro computer
| | with my son's old p1 win95 computer in order for him (win95)
| | to get an internet connection from my computer
| | because the lady from the cable company told me that it would be
| | much cheaper this way rather than adding a second internet
| | connection (wall television socket) from the company because I
| | would then have to pay double for both connections to the
| | internet.
| | my question is will this work?
| | what hardware/software will I need to install?
| | and is this home-networking feasible?
| | thank you for your supporting tips!
|
| Sure...just ask Microsoft...

http://support.microsoft.com/default...2Fhnetwork.asp

Oh - you'll have to set up the Win95 networking manually - the XP Home
Network Setup Wizard doesn't run on XP.

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Old September 5th 04, 11:06 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.win95.networking,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Scraggy

Toolman Tim wrote:
Snip
the XP Home
Network Setup Wizard doesn't run on XP.

PBKAC :-)
--
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick
boxing. -- Emo Philips

Old September 6th 04, 12:08 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.win95.networking,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Eli Aran

thank you very much.
that was very helpful.

"Toolman Tim" wrote in message
| I was thinking of networking my new p4 2.4G winxppro computer
| with my son's old p1 win95 computer in order for him (win95)
| to get an internet connection from my computer
| because the lady from the cable company told me that it would be much
| cheaper this way rather than adding a second internet connection
| (wall television socket) from the company because I would then have
| to pay double for both connections to the internet.
| my question is will this work?
| what hardware/software will I need to install?
| and is this home-networking feasible?
| thank you for your supporting tips!

Sure...just ask Microsoft...

http://support.microsoft.com/default...2Fhnetwork.asp

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Old September 6th 04, 12:21 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.win95.networking,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Eli Aran

"Toolman Tim" wrote in message
| | I was thinking of networking my new p4 2.4G winxppro computer
| | with my son's old p1 win95 computer in order for him (win95)
| | to get an internet connection from my computer
| | because the lady from the cable company told me that it would be
| | much cheaper this way rather than adding a second internet
| | connection (wall television socket) from the company because I
| | would then have to pay double for both connections to the
| | internet.
| | my question is will this work?
| | what hardware/software will I need to install?
| | and is this home-networking feasible?
| | thank you for your supporting tips!
|
| Sure...just ask Microsoft...

http://support.microsoft.com/default...2Fhnetwork.asp

Oh - you'll have to set up the Win95 networking manually - the XP Home
Network Setup Wizard doesn't run on XP.

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

how do I set up the Win95 networking manually ?

Old September 6th 04, 12:53 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.win95.networking,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
samuel

"Eli Aran" wrote in news:[email protected]
berlin.de:

"Scraggy" wrote in message
Toolman Tim wrote:
Snip
the XP Home
Network Setup Wizard doesn't run on XP.

PBKAC :-)
--
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick
boxing. -- Emo Philips

what is PBKAC?

http://www.acronymfinder.com/
Old September 6th 04, 01:32 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.win95.networking,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
madmax

Eli Aran wrote:

I was thinking of networking my new p4 2.4G winxppro computer
with my son's old p1 win95 computer in order for him (win95)
to get an internet connection from my computer
because the lady from the cable company told me that it would be much
cheaper this way rather than adding a second internet connection (wall
television socket) from the company because I would then have to pay double
for both connections to the internet.
my question is will this work?
what hardware/software will I need to install?
and is this home-networking feasible?
thank you for your supporting tips!

Here is a good place for info
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
-max

--
To help you stay safe see: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html
Change nomail.afraid.org to neo.rr.com so you can reply by e-mail
Old September 6th 04, 01:55 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.win95.networking,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp.networking,uk.comp.home-networking
Toolman Tim

| "Toolman Tim" wrote in message
| | | I was thinking of networking my new p4 2.4G winxppro computer
| | | with my son's old p1 win95 computer in order for him (win95)
| | | to get an internet connection from my computer
| | | because the lady from the cable company told me that it
| | | would be much cheaper this way rather than adding a second
| | | internet connection (wall television socket) from the
| | | company because I would then have to pay double for both
| | | connections to the internet.
| | | my question is will this work?
| | | what hardware/software will I need to install?
| | | and is this home-networking feasible?
| | | thank you for your supporting tips!
| |
| | Sure...just ask Microsoft...
| |

http://support.microsoft.com/default...2Fhnetwork.asp
| |

| Oh - you'll have to set up the Win95 networking manually - the XP
| Home Network Setup Wizard doesn't run on XP.
|
| --
| "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go
| where THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
|

| how do I set up the Win95 networking manually ?

control panel, network properties, install Windows Networking client, and
install TC/PIP protocol

An ption which would cost a little more, would be to purchase a cable modem
router. Here's the two cable methods side by side:

1) standard "crossover" network with two PCS requires 2 network cards and a
crossover ethernet cable. (If your cable modem is coming in via ethernet,
you will need another card. Configuring two cards in one PC can be
troublesome sometimes.) Your cable modem goes to one ethernet card in XP
computer, and the Windows 95 computer (using the crossover cable) plugs into
the other one. While this should work, it is not allways the easiest to get
running.

2) "home network" method - cable modem connects to a cable modem router. The
XP computer connects to the router, the W95 computer connects to the router.
Simpler cabling, more reliable connections, AND it adds NAT security to your
computer system. (NAT is network address translation - the "Internet" and/or
hackers would see the router at the end of the cable modem instead of seeing
your computers.)

Personally, I'd spend the extra and get the router for the ease of
connections and the added security.

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~