DG834G acting strangly?

Old September 6th 04, 02:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Scampi

Default DG834G acting strangly?

Hi there,

I've been monitoring my wifi network traffic after moving (looking for
people trying to access my network etc) and I've noticed some strange
behaviour.

Using LinkFerret, I can see that my router regularly (every second or
so) broadcasts a ARP packet for the IP address 192.168.0.3, an address
that is usually associated with a PC on my network that's currently
switched off. Also, after about three minutes of this madness, it
broadcasts a large number of ARP (Address Resolution Protocol, for
those who don't know) packets to sudo-random IP numbers in the range
(192.168.0.*).

Does anyone know why this is happening? Why is my router hung up on
finding an IP address that hasn't accessed the network in a day or so,
and why is it looking for so many IP addresses? My understanding of
ARP is that the router shouldn't be making these requests, and if
anything wanted to contact it, the machine would put out a broadcast
to get things going, however it appears that my router is actively
scanning for IP addresses when it's the DHCP server on my network. Am
I going mad?

Hope someone replies to this, I've been watching this log for nearly
an hour now!

Chris 'Scampi' Williams