A few Wireless Networking questions

Old September 8th 04, 09:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mr Rie

Default A few Wireless Networking questions

Hi all,

I have a wired LAN that I would like to extend a little with a wireless
connections.

My current setup is:

Zyxel 652 ADSL Router (single ethernet port)

Connected to
1. Print Server - two parallel printers connected
2. 8 port 10/100 Switch

8 port switch is connected to

1. 3 PCs
2. 1 Wireless Router (Origo WLL-3810 108G+ Wireless
router)
3. Kiss DivX player with Ethernet

I am new to the whole wireless side of networking, so bear with me.

The Origo router is connected to my LAN via a Ethernet port (on the Origo).
The router also has a WAN port, which is unused.
The DHCP server function is disabled on the Origo and wireless connections
obtain IP addresses from the Zyxel router.

What I would like to do is move the printers and print server and have them
connected via wireless.

So if I bought another Origo and connected it to the Print Server, how does
the Origo need to be configured and connected.

My understanding is that at the moment the current Origo is functioning as
an Access Point, with router disabled.

Futher to this I would like to connect the KISS DivX player via wireless,
with another Origo (as they are cheap), I assume the setup would be exactly
the same as the print server.

What does the WAN port on the router do ? The manual is just a few pages and
doesn't explain the differences.

I hope someone can make sense of this.

TIA

Mr Rie

Old September 8th 04, 11:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
THe NuTTeR

Hi all,

I have a wired LAN that I would like to extend a little with a
wireless
connections.

My current setup is:

Zyxel 652 ADSL Router (single ethernet port)

Connected to
1. Print Server - two parallel printers
connected
2. 8 port 10/100 Switch

If the ADSL router only has one ethernet port, how do you have 2 devices
connected?

8 port switch is connected to

1. 3 PCs
2. 1 Wireless Router (Origo WLL-3810 108G+
Wireless
router)
3. Kiss DivX player with Ethernet

I would have said the PCs and Kiss player should be into the Origo, with
the Zyxel running in bridged mode (connected to the WAN port) and DHCP
enabled on the Origo

I am new to the whole wireless side of networking, so bear with me.

The Origo router is connected to my LAN via a Ethernet port (on the
Origo).
The router also has a WAN port, which is unused.
The DHCP server function is disabled on the Origo and wireless
connections
obtain IP addresses from the Zyxel router.

What I would like to do is move the printers and print server and have
them
connected via wireless.

So if I bought another Origo and connected it to the Print Server, how
does
the Origo need to be configured and connected.

You would be better of buying an access point that can also function as
a bridge, not many routers will do this AFIAA.
Or getting a dedicated wireless bridge (I know netgear used to do them,
often sold for the likes of XBox, so sometimes called wireless gaming
adapters)

My understanding is that at the moment the current Origo is
functioning as
an Access Point, with router disabled.

Futher to this I would like to connect the KISS DivX player via
wireless,
with another Origo (as they are cheap), I assume the setup would be
exactly
the same as the print server.

Yep, pretty much

What does the WAN port on the router do ? The manual is just a few
pages and
doesn't explain the differences.

The WAN (wide area network) is anthing not on your LAN, normally
connected to "the internet" (via a cable/dsl modem).
Basically your network sits on the LAN ports, and "everything else" (in
terms of IP address) is assumed to be on the WAN port and routed
accordingly.

I hope someone can make sense of this.

TIA

Mr Rie

Hope I've managed to help at least a little

Old September 8th 04, 11:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mr Rie

"THe NuTTeR" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have a wired LAN that I would like to extend a little with a
wireless
connections.

My current setup is:

Zyxel 652 ADSL Router (single ethernet port)

Connected to
1. Print Server - two parallel printers
connected
2. 8 port 10/100 Switch

If the ADSL router only has one ethernet port, how do you have 2 devices
connected?

What I meant, the Zyxel connects to the 8 port switch. The printer connects
to the the 8 port switch as well

Thanks for replying, you have enlightened me a little further.

Mr Rie