installing cat6 NOW: yes or no?

Old September 10th 04, 04:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ashirus

Default installing cat6 NOW: yes or no?

Hi, i've bought a new home and need to totally rewire the house (because
it's old) so i want to install networking wires. I'll want toi use the
network to stream video the bedroom as well as basic networking so i plan to
have 1000BaseT (gigabit ethernet).

I've seen conflicting views on whether to use Cat6 as apposed to Cat5e. The
wiring is happening the coming week so i need to know now what's best.

Apparently Cat6 isn't finalised so if we do install it the electrician needs
to know how to test it properly - and I don't think he has decent equipment
for that or know quite what to test for! (I can't change electricians for
complicated reasons). Is it worth the risk or should I stick to Cat5e and
hope it'll be good enough for fast networking?

--
Thanx,
Ash

Old September 10th 04, 08:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Walker

"Ashirus"
usenet-replyATashirusnwNO_SPAM.freeserve.co.ukDeleteFollo
wrote in message ...
Hi, i've bought a new home and need to totally rewire the house (because
it's old) so i want to install networking wires. I'll want toi use the
network to stream video the bedroom as well as basic networking so i plan
have 1000BaseT (gigabit ethernet).

I've seen conflicting views on whether to use Cat6 as apposed to Cat5e.
The
wiring is happening the coming week so i need to know now what's best.

Apparently Cat6 isn't finalised so if we do install it the electrician
needs
to know how to test it properly - and I don't think he has decent
equipment
for that or know quite what to test for! (I can't change electricians for
complicated reasons). Is it worth the risk or should I stick to Cat5e and
hope it'll be good enough for fast networking?

Well Cat5e is definitely good enough for Gigabit which will probably be all
you'll need for a good few years yet.
Unless Cat6 is only marginally more I'd got with Cat5.

Rob

Old September 10th 04, 09:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
logized

wrote in message ...
[...]

Personally, I think that Cat5e is still good enough for home use in the UK -
until we start streaming high definition tv etc.
Some may argue that Cat6 is now the only way to go - but it has to be
installed very carefully to work to specifications.
Cat7 is on the horizon - so Cat6 may soon be obsolete anyway!
It's a bit like trying to future proof a pc - difficult.
See these articles and decide for yourself
http://www.expresscomputeronline.com...nology01.shtml

http://hiddenwires.co.uk/resourcesar...030919-01.html

Dave

Old September 11th 04, 01:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Clint Sharp

In message , Ashirus
usenet-replyATashirusnwNO_SPAM.freeserve.co.ukDeleteFollo
m writes
Apparently Cat6 isn't finalised so if we do install it the electrician needs
to know how to test it properly - and I don't think he has decent equipment
for that or know quite what to test for! (I can't change electricians for
complicated reasons).

You've got an Electrician who knows how to test ANY network cable
properly?
Is it worth the risk or should I stick to Cat5e and
hope it'll be good enough for fast networking?

Should be good enough for gigabit, try and make sure it's not taken
below the minimum bend radius or crimped in the floor space, try and
keep it away from mains cables or anything using a phase angle
controller (washing machine, lighting dimmers etc.) Get your electrician
to run the network cable in a separate conduit if possible and then you
can use the cable to 'fish' any new stuff you need you might want to
install at a later date.

--
Thanx,
Ash