Wireless Page cannot be displayed problem

Old September 12th 04, 11:44 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mehdi

Default Wireless Page cannot be displayed problem

Hi,

First thanks for your time.

I've ran out of ideas after 5 days trying to fix this problem. Here is the
scenario:

My network configuration:

Cable modem
|-- Netgear Router/4port switch
|-- 3Com OfficeConnect 11g Access point
|-- Laptop(XP Home) with 3Com 11g Card

Netgear router/switch is the DHCP server and I have set it up to assign
static IPs to my network devices. I have set the 3Com Wireless Access Point
to accept the IP address assigned by Netgear router and I have disabled 3Com
to act as DHCP server. When connected all devices assigned correct IPs and
work fine including my Sony Centring laptop (Xp Pro - 11g built-in card)
without any problem.

However my wife's Toshiba laptop using 3Com 11g Card randomly looses
connection to the internet "Page can not be displayed" and we have to reboot
her PC or unplug/plug the card. When her laptop looses the connection, IP
address is still assigned and wireless signal strength show excellent, but
unable to ping any IPs (LAN or WAN). This problem with her laptop started
happening last week and it has been working fine for over a year.

I have done the followings, but it hasn't fix the problem:

1. Installed latest driver/firmware on Netgear router, 3ComOfficeConnect
Wireless Access point and 3Com 11 g card.
2. Installed Win Xp SP 2 (then uninstalled it as I thought it might have
caused more problems).
3. Disabled WPA, WEP wireless encryption
4. Disabled Sygate software firewall on her PC.
5. Set the IE 6 security to default level and default settings. Also emptied
catch and temp internet files.
6. Changed Wireless channels (but signal strength is not the problem as it
shows "excellent").
7. Rebooted all devices after each change.

I think Toshiba software/11g card might be the problem as my Sony laptop
connection to same wireless access point works fine whilst Toshiba laptop
showing the problem.

Sorry for the long post.

I really appreciate any help or suggestions.

Kind regards

Mehdi