Port Forwarding

Old September 12th 04, 04:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
DC

Default Port Forwarding

Hi i have a Belkin 54g Wireless Router, i understand port forwarding is
Virtual Servers on the router, i have opened port 21 on the router by
selecting FTP Server from the drop down menu and then 4 the Private IP i put
what the machine is so 192.168.2 is done 4 me so i add the machine where the
server is so i put 4 because the local ip of the machine is 192.168.2.4

But when users or me try to access using my external ip i get a connection
refused but my local ip works inside my network?

Can anyone help?

Old September 12th 04, 05:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NoSpam

DC wrote:
Hi i have a Belkin 54g Wireless Router, i understand port forwarding is
Virtual Servers on the router, i have opened port 21 on the router by
selecting FTP Server from the drop down menu and then 4 the Private IP i put
what the machine is so 192.168.2 is done 4 me so i add the machine where the
server is so i put 4 because the local ip of the machine is 192.168.2.4

But when users or me try to access using my external ip i get a connection
refused but my local ip works inside my network?

Could your ISP be blocking you running a server on this port?

Try running your FTP server on a non-standard port and seeing if users
can connect that way.

Also, are you getting someone outside your LAN to try your external IP?
You won't be able to connect to your own external IP address from your
inside LAN.
Old September 12th 04, 05:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
DC

No my isp doesnt block servers, ive asked other ppl to try and they get a
connection refused, how do you meen try another port dont ftp servers have
to use 21, what ports would be open which i could use?

TIA

DC

Old September 12th 04, 05:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NoSpam

DC wrote:
No my isp doesnt block servers

Okey dokey, how did you have this confirmed though?

ive asked other ppl to try and they get a
connection refused, how do you meen try another port dont ftp servers have
to use 21, what ports would be open which i could use?

Pick one out the air, 12345 would be a good one.

Look in the settings for your FTP server, and instead of running it on
21, run it on 12345.

Then port forward 12345 to the IP of the machine running the server.

Your clients must then specify that they want to connect to this
alternate port though. Either look for a setting in the software to do
this, or if using a web browser, the URL would become
ftp://your.ip.address:12345/

HTH.
Old September 12th 04, 06:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
DC

u clever cookie! worked when i changed to 12345, but i can only access via a
ftp client such as smartftp, when using IE we just get timed out message any
ideas?

Old September 12th 04, 08:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NoSpam

DC wrote:

u clever cookie! worked when i changed to 12345, but i can only access via a
ftp client such as smartftp, when using IE we just get timed out message any
ideas?

Not an IE user, so I don't know if it supports Active FTP (Rather than
Passive).

Read about what I mean he

http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

HTH