ADSL

Old September 12th 04, 11:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
dariusrejali

Default ADSL

I am signing up to virgin net broadband and plan to set up a home
network. Can I use any ADSL modem? If I use my laptop via wireless
network do i have to have it on all the time? (initially it will be
the only computer on the network!)
Old September 13th 04, 12:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
THe NuTTeR

"dariusrejali" wrote in message
om...
I am signing up to virgin net broadband and plan to set up a home
network. Can I use any ADSL modem?

Yes... but... there are modems and routers with built in modems. You'll
almost definitely want a router with a modem built in.

If I use my laptop via wireless
network do i have to have it on all the time? (initially it will be
the only computer on the network!)

All the time you want to use it yes. I don't really understand the
question. If you mean "will my laptop need to be switched on if i add
other computers to the network and want them to have internet access?"
then the answer varies depending on your setup. If you have a USB/PCMCIA
ADSL modem connected to your laptop, and then a wireless network between
the computers, the answer is yes. A better setup is a standalone router,
either with wireless built in, or with a seperate wireless access point
(easier to get good coverage) then only devices that want a connection
need to be turned on.

Hope this helps

Old September 13th 04, 01:12 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

In message ,
dariusrejali writes
I am signing up to virgin net broadband and plan to set up a home
network. Can I use any ADSL modem? If I use my laptop via wireless
network do i have to have it on all the time? (initially it will be
the only computer on the network!)

You should be able to use any UK model ADSL modem with any ADSL service.
I'm using virgin.net and a third-party modem/router.

I suggest that you get a router rather than a plain modem because then
you can connect any machine you want. With a plain modem the machine
that the modem is connected to has to be powered all of the time.

--
Bernard Peek

Old September 13th 04, 08:36 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Zontag

dariusrejali wrote:
I am signing up to virgin net broadband and plan to set up a home
network. Can I use any ADSL modem? If I use my laptop via wireless
network do i have to have it on all the time? (initially it will be
the only computer on the network!)

STRONGLY suggest before you sign with Virgin you check out the ratings
and user forums at the the adslguide (http://www.adsguide.org.uk)