serious advice needed!

Old September 13th 04, 10:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
brushes

Default serious advice needed!

I hope I can get some help here.

House: xppro (sp1) laptop connected through an adsl modem/router. zonealarm
(free) and ICF. dynamic IP

office: xppro (sp1) desktop on peer to peer network, again through adsl
modem/router (same make/model) and again with zonealarm and ICF. Static IP

everythings working fine.

So, how do I set about being able to connect to my office network and run an
application from home without impairing security?

beaver

Old September 14th 04, 04:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

brushes wrote:

House: xppro (sp1) laptop connected through an adsl modem/router. zonealarm
(free) and ICF. dynamic IP

office: xppro (sp1) desktop on peer to peer network, again through adsl
modem/router (same make/model) and again with zonealarm and ICF. Static IP

everythings working fine.

So, how do I set about being able to connect to my office network and run an
application from home without impairing security?

There are two approaches:

1. Set up your office network so you can connect a machine to it from
outside as if you were in the office. One way to do this is to use a
Virtual Private Network (VPN). I use a Draytek Vigor touter in an
office, as it directly supports VPN (other routers pass through the
commands, so you can run VPN software). Google term: VPN

2. Use remote control software (e.g., UltraVNC for Windows, or RealVNC
for most platforms) to control a machine which is connected to your
office network. You can do this over a VPN for additional security
(someone sniffing packets can pick up your password over an open
connection). Google terms: VNC, UltraVNC

Both of these approaches work very well.

Best wishes,
--
Michael Salem
Old October 10th 04, 02:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
brushes

"brushes" wrote in message
I hope I can get some help here.

House: xppro (sp1) laptop connected through an adsl modem/router.

zonealarm
(free) and ICF. dynamic IP

office: xppro (sp1) desktop on peer to peer network, again through adsl
modem/router (same make/model) and again with zonealarm and ICF. Static IP

everythings working fine.

So, how do I set about being able to connect to my office network and run

an
application from home without impairing security?

beaver

thanks to both of you, I am now digesting!