Changing broadband technologies - what do I need?

Old September 14th 04, 10:13 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
bigbrian

Default Changing broadband technologies - what do I need?

Existing set up is:

One host PC, one other PC and two occasional laptops. The host PC is
connected to the internet connection, and shares this with the rest
via a wireless network. At the host PC there's a PCI wireless LAN
card, the other PC has a USB wireless adaptor, and the laptops both
have PCMCIA cards. To increase range and security there also a
Wireless Access Point, which isn't connected to any PC

None of the computers is being changed, but I'm shifting to a
different broadband service (ADSL). Currently the host PC has two
broadband connections. One is via RF from a PCI ethernet card from a
rooftop antenna, and this is the one that is shared around the house.
The other is from a USB adaptor which accessess a local community
broadband service which is actually hosted by my next door neighbour.
There are various problems with both of the existing connections so
now that long reach ADSL is available, the idea is to ditch one or
both of the existing services and go with ADSL. The line is already
activated but its a wires only service (no hardware provided)

Obviously I want to share the new connection around the domestic
wireless network, so my question is, bearing in mind what I've already
got, what hardware do I need? Can I use any of the existing kit and
just get a router?

All tips gratefully received

Brian

Old September 14th 04, 11:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

bigbrian wrote:

None of the computers is being changed, but I'm shifting to a
different broadband service (ADSL).

The best solution, at not unreasonable cost, is to use an ADSL router.
If you need wireless support, get a router which also functions as a
wireless AP. You get firewall support with most routers; the protection
you get from having NAT on the router (local machines get addresses
usually like 192.168.1.x) will protect you from incoming attacks unless
you run servers accessible from the Internet.

Set up the router to access your ISP, set up your local machines to get
their IP address automatically, and you're done. Plug any machine into
the network, and it will immediately have Internet connectivity. It is
usually that simple, though problems can arise.

Most ADSL routers include 4-port switches (hubs), so your computers can
all be networked together if you want.

HTH,
--
Michael Salem
Old September 14th 04, 11:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"bigbrian" wrote in message
[snip]
Obviously I want to share the new connection around the domestic
wireless network, so my question is, bearing in mind what I've already
got, what hardware do I need? Can I use any of the existing kit and
just get a router?

You could just install an ADSL modem (PCI or whatever) in the "host" PC and
reconfigure the PC to share that connection, but I would recommend getting
an ADSL router and disabling connection sharing on the "host" PC.

You could get a wireless router and replace your access point (AP), or (if
your AP allows) use your existing AP to bridge the two wireless networks. Or
you could get an ordinary Ethernet router, and to wire it to the AP (you
could do the same with a wireless router - ignoring the wireless
capability - but that doesn't seem sensible).

Alex

Old September 14th 04, 11:58 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , bigbrian
says...

[...]

Get a Wireless ADSL Modem router...solves all the problems easily.
Alternatively you can get a ADSL Modem with a single RJ45 port and hook
that up to the Access Point.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.
Old September 14th 04, 05:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
bigbrian

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:46:54 +0100, Michael Salem
wrote:

bigbrian wrote:

None of the computers is being changed, but I'm shifting to a
different broadband service (ADSL).

The best solution, at not unreasonable cost, is to use an ADSL router.
If you need wireless support, get a router which also functions as a
wireless AP. You get firewall support with most routers; the protection
you get from having NAT on the router (local machines get addresses
usually like 192.168.1.x) will protect you from incoming attacks unless
you run servers accessible from the Internet.

Set up the router to access your ISP, set up your local machines to get
their IP address automatically, and you're done. Plug any machine into
the network, and it will immediately have Internet connectivity. It is
usually that simple, though problems can arise.

Most ADSL routers include 4-port switches (hubs), so your computers can
all be networked together if you want.

Thanks for that. So (at the risk of stating the obvious) does the
wireless router connect wirelessly to the host PC's wireless adapter,
or does it need to be cable connected to an ethernet card of some
kind?

If its wirelessly, presumably it doesn't even need to be in the same
room as any of the PCs?

Brian

Old September 14th 04, 06:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"bigbrian" wrote in message
news
Thanks for that. So (at the risk of stating the obvious) does the
wireless router connect wirelessly to the host PC's wireless adapter,
or does it need to be cable connected to an ethernet card of some
kind?

If you use a router, you will no longer have a "host" PC. Your current
"host" PC becomes no different to the other PC and laptops. With a wireless
router, that means you can use the existing wireless adapter instead of a
cable.

Alex

Old September 14th 04, 10:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

bigbrian wrote:

does the
wireless router connect wirelessly to the host PC's wireless adapter,
or does it need to be cable connected to an ethernet card of some
kind?

If its wirelessly, presumably it doesn't even need to be in the same
room as any of the PCs?

I'm not sure if it's 100% essential, but I always connect a PC via
Ethernet to the router to set it up initially. Once set up, you don't
need a wired connection anywhere.

The routers I use, at least, come with a program which lets a PC find
them whatever the IP addresses of the router and the PC.

Best wishes,
--
Michael Salem
Old September 15th 04, 10:09 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
bigbrian

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:10:31 +0100, Michael Salem
wrote:

bigbrian wrote:

does the
wireless router connect wirelessly to the host PC's wireless adapter,
or does it need to be cable connected to an ethernet card of some
kind?

If its wirelessly, presumably it doesn't even need to be in the same
room as any of the PCs?

I'm not sure if it's 100% essential, but I always connect a PC via
Ethernet to the router to set it up initially. Once set up, you don't
need a wired connection anywhere.

The routers I use, at least, come with a program which lets a PC find
them whatever the IP addresses of the router and the PC.

Do you have any recommendations for routers in that regard?

Brian
Old September 15th 04, 12:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

bigbrian wrote:

Do you have any recommendations for routers in that regard?

I find the relatively expensive Draytek Vigor ADSL routers very good;
e.g. the 2600G. http://www.seg.co.uk

The feature which made me choose them may not be relevant to many users:
the router itself supports a Virtual Private Network. So you can set up
a network that you can connect to safely from anywhere, or set up two
locations with networks which work as a single network, although
obviously communication across the VPN is slower than local traffic.

Best wishes,
--
Michael Salem