cat 5 outside

Old September 14th 04, 05:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve

Default cat 5 outside

Hi i need an extra connection poit in my garage for a laptop, is it ok
to run cat 5 cable outside, does the weather affect it?
any advice?

thanks

Steve
Old September 14th 04, 05:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
brushes

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi i need an extra connection poit in my garage for a laptop, is it ok
to run cat 5 cable outside, does the weather affect it?
any advice?

thanks

Steve

I've had a cat5 cable running from my house down to my workshop (60ft) at
the bottom of the garden for two years now and it has survived two scottish
winters! I ran a steel cable first and then used cable ties to suspend it. I
do take the precaution of unplugging at each end when there are bad storms
about

Old September 14th 04, 06:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Steve wrote:
Hi i need an extra connection poit in my garage for a laptop, is it ok
to run cat 5 cable outside, does the weather affect it?
any advice?

thanks

Steve

There is "external grade" CAT 5 cable available but is is relatively
pricey - the main advantage is the extra mechanical protection it offers.

As long as you ensure there is no damage to the external insulation when
you install it (and the squirrels leave it alone) the weather should not
really affect it too much.

You should get plenty of life out of standard cable if you just take
care with the install.
Old September 14th 04, 09:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
NoSpam

Steve wrote:

Hi i need an extra connection poit in my garage for a laptop, is it ok
to run cat 5 cable outside, does the weather affect it?
any advice?

It'd be fine weatherwise probably, but I'd be worried about rodents etc.

Why not feed it along some hose pipe and lay it down in that?
Old September 14th 04, 10:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Stanton

I've had a cat5 cable running from my house down to my workshop (60ft) at
the bottom of the garden for two years now and it has survived two scottish
winters! I ran a steel cable first and then used cable ties to suspend it. I
do take the precaution of unplugging at each end when there are bad storms
about

Nobody going to bring up the old ' it might get struck by lightening '
tale ?.

Dave

Old September 14th 04, 11:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Frank le Spikkin

Steve wrote in
:

Hi i need an extra connection poit in my garage for a laptop, is
it ok to run cat 5 cable outside, does the weather affect it?
any advice?

thanks

Steve

Have you considered using wireless link?
Old September 15th 04, 12:37 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mike

thats a good idea, should get quite a staic buildup in the cable then...bang
when you reconnect it.
old wives tales never die

mike

"brushes" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi i need an extra connection poit in my garage for a laptop, is it ok
to run cat 5 cable outside, does the weather affect it?
any advice?

thanks

Steve

I've had a cat5 cable running from my house down to my workshop (60ft) at
the bottom of the garden for two years now and it has survived two

scottish
winters! I ran a steel cable first and then used cable ties to suspend it.

do take the precaution of unplugging at each end when there are bad storms
about

---

Old September 17th 04, 12:15 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
THe NuTTeR

"Frank le Spikkin" wrote in message
Steve wrote in
:

Hi i need an extra connection poit in my garage for a laptop, is
it ok to run cat 5 cable outside, does the weather affect it?
any advice?

thanks

Steve

Have you considered using wireless link?

I would rather run a wire for any (semi) permanant location than use
unreliable wireless.

Old September 17th 04, 01:07 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Frank le Spikkin

"THe NuTTeR" wrote in
:

"Frank le Spikkin" wrote in message
Steve wrote in
:

Hi i need an extra connection poit in my garage for a laptop,
is it ok to run cat 5 cable outside, does the weather affect
it? any advice?

thanks

Steve

Have you considered using wireless link?

I would rather run a wire for any (semi) permanant location than
use unreliable wireless.

Maybe you should try reliable wireless, it is readily available.
Old September 17th 04, 05:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
THe NuTTeR

Like what? Netgear or Linksys kit, which is what i run. Its a lot more
hassle to get wireless working than wired.
And it can drop out for no apparent reason. I vote wires over wireless
whenever practical