Cable (i.e. ethernet WAN) router recommendations please

Old September 15th 04, 12:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Cable (i.e. ethernet WAN) router recommendations please

We will shortly get a wireless broadband connection to our house and I
need to get a cable router to replace our existing ISDN router.

The WAN interface (i.e. the connection from the wireless link) is
ethernet and simply requires the router to support PPPoE.

I want a router at least as capable as my existing Lancom ISDN router,
I'll also need *better* firewalling as it will be an always on
connection with a static IP. My basic requirements for the router are
NAT (obviously), simple DNS and good firewall facilities. It doesn't
need to be a hub (but doesn't matter if it is) as I have a small hub
already.

Possibilities would seem to be:-
D-Link D1804HV
Linksys BEFSX41
Solwise BIG-L2/4
Zyxel Prestige 324

Does anyone have any experience of these and/or other recommendations?

Would I be better off using IPCop on an old PC, I have a couple quite
capable of running it and I already run a Linux system so setting it
up shouldn't be a problem.

Finally it would be nice to be able to use the ISDN as a backup, can I
leave the ISDN router connected to my network and set things up so
that it's a backup route if the cable router can't connect? Or are
there other ways of doing this?

--
Chris Green
Old September 15th 04, 01:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Michael Salem

wrote:
[...]

Some of the Draytek Vigor routers, which meet your requirements in other
respects, have an additional ISDN capability as backup. I haven't used
these models myself, but there may be one that suits you.
http://www.seg.co.uk

Best wishes,
--
Michael Salem
Old September 17th 04, 12:10 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
THe NuTTeR

Solwise Kit is usually pretty solid, although a little user unfriendly.
IPcop should theoretically give you more options (maybe even as a print
server too)
Depends how much hassle/noise you are willing to put up with, and how
much space you have I guess

Old September 17th 04, 10:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

THe NuTTeR wrote:
Solwise Kit is usually pretty solid, although a little user unfriendly.
IPcop should theoretically give you more options (maybe even as a print
server too)
Depends how much hassle/noise you are willing to put up with, and how
much space you have I guess

I'm going the IPCop route at the moment, I've got a few weeks to get
familiar with it and so far it seems pretty easy (I run a Slackware
Linux system anyway). I have a couple of issues but the IPCop mailing
list seems friendly and helpful so I don't think it'll be long before
I've got it all sorted.

--
Chris Green