Newbie here, big question

Old September 16th 04, 11:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
THe NuTTeR

Default Newbie here, big question

Class C subnet written to look like a class A..... very clever.
You gotta take it back to binary, to work out the subnets easily
Calculating each switch as a subnet would be easiest, although is a
strange setup for your example, would expect routers.
don't forget to give the router an address in each subnet too tho,
otherwise you'll struggle to get it working
Good luck with it.

"Teotwawki" wrote in message
Hi yawl !,

I have an assignemnet for Uni. It's a case study. the question gives
three
swtiches hanging off a router in a three router scenario. eg on in
sydney,
one in melb and one in brisbane.

I'm given a class C public subnet of 233.0.0.0 for internal address.
I'm expected to subnet this . Might be a basic question but in
subnetting do
I regard the switches as a router (sort of) when calcualtin nubers of
hosts
. . (do you know what I mean - do the switches and their hosts each
become a
subnet to calucate ????)
I'm Confused.
TIA,
Anthony

Old September 17th 04, 05:53 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Teotwawki

"THe NuTTeR" wrote in message
Class C subnet written to look like a class A..... very clever.
You gotta take it back to binary, to work out the subnets easily
Calculating each switch as a subnet would be easiest, although is a
strange setup for your example, would expect routers.
don't forget to give the router an address in each subnet too tho,
otherwise you'll struggle to get it working
Good luck with it.

thatnk you for your reply. I realise it's a home network NG but I couldn't
see any other NG's that might fit the bill.
Cheers,
yeah it is a class A.

Old September 17th 04, 01:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ben Cottrell

Teotwawki wrote:

"THe NuTTeR" wrote in message

Class C subnet written to look like a class A..... very clever.
You gotta take it back to binary, to work out the subnets easily
Calculating each switch as a subnet would be easiest, although is a
strange setup for your example, would expect routers.
don't forget to give the router an address in each subnet too tho,
otherwise you'll struggle to get it working
Good luck with it.

thatnk you for your reply. I realise it's a home network NG but I couldn't
see any other NG's that might fit the bill.
Cheers,
yeah it is a class A.

Check your definition of Class A :-) (or take NuTTeR's advice and
convert it to binary - hint: Class A binary addresses start with 0)

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

Disclaimer:
This post may contain explicit depictions of things which are "real".
These "real" things are commonly known as 'life'! So, if it sounds
sarcastic, don't take it seriously. If it sounds hazardous, Do not try
this at home or at all. And if it offends you, just don't read it.
Old September 17th 04, 04:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
THe NuTTeR

In that case its fairly easy to do the lazy way.
233.0.x.x for the backbone
233.1.x.x for site 1
233.2.x.x for site 2
etc.
Subnets would be 255.255.0.0 unless you have any reason to subdivide
further at a site level, but you still have enough addresses for a every
dept to have a class C subnet.