Newbie here, big question

Old September 17th 04, 12:37 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Northeast

Default Newbie here, big question

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:01:58 +1000, Teotwawki wrote:

Hi yawl !,

I have an assignemnet for Uni. It's a case study. the question gives
three swtiches hanging off a router in a three router scenario. eg on in
sydney, one in melb and one in brisbane.

I'm given a class C public subnet of 233.0.0.0 for internal address. I'm
expected to subnet this . Might be a basic question but in subnetting do I
regard the switches as a router (sort of) when calcualtin nubers of hosts
. . (do you know what I mean - do the switches and their hosts each become
a subnet to calucate ????)

I agree with Rob's opinion about spoon feeding. If you can't find this out
yourself, you will never succeed.

I will give you a clue or two, to help you find things out.

A switch is not a router.

A switch is layer 2, a router is layer 3.

There's a neat perl script called ipcalc which does subnet calculation for
you.

Rob mentions libraries, as in buildings full of books as opposed to
collections of commonly used subroutines. It was the same when I was at
University. They are indeed very useful. Nowadays, we also have an
Internet. It is not a write only medium. You guys are spoiled, really. As
we were compared to the previous generation, etc.

Some of the best books were written by W.R.Stevens.

Windows is not an ideal platform for network experimentation. Try Linux.

Correct spelling enhances communication.

Regards, Ian

Old September 17th 04, 06:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Teotwawki

"Ian Northeast" wrote in message
news
[...]

You too, need an enema.