network mailbox

Old September 18th 04, 06:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
mike

Default network mailbox

Are there any software packages, preferably free,that will allow me to sort
out mail that will be collected by different computers on a home network?
I've tried using the filters on windows 98se but with no joy.
I'm aiming to have one computer setup to collect all mail from my isp server
and the other computer/s on the network to collect the mail addressed to
that particular computer.
Sort of postoffice sorting office, Hope this makes sense!
TIA

Old September 18th 04, 06:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Lloyd

mike wrote:

Are there any software packages, preferably free,that will allow me to sort
out mail that will be collected by different computers on a home network?
I've tried using the filters on windows 98se but with no joy.
I'm aiming to have one computer setup to collect all mail from my isp server
and the other computer/s on the network to collect the mail addressed to
that particular computer.
Sort of postoffice sorting office, Hope this makes sense!
TIA

Hi,
Vpop email server will do that but it's not free.

http://www.pscs.co.uk/

Chris
Old September 19th 04, 10:59 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jon

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:45:42 GMT, mike wrote:
Are there any software packages, preferably free,that will allow me to sort
out mail that will be collected by different computers on a home network?
I've tried using the filters on windows 98se but with no joy.
I'm aiming to have one computer setup to collect all mail from my isp server
and the other computer/s on the network to collect the mail addressed to
that particular computer.
Sort of postoffice sorting office, Hope this makes sense!
TIA

You could consider getting a cheap low spec machine install Linux on
it and use that as a mailserver.
All the software you need will come with any Linux distro and more
suited to the job than W98.
If you go the imap route instead of pop3 you can access your email
away from home as well.
Jon

--

Mail sent to the above address doesn't get read.
To send email replace domain with fastmail.co.uk
Old September 19th 04, 01:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andy Lord

"mike" wrote in message
Are there any software packages, preferably free,that will allow me to
sort
out mail that will be collected by different computers on a home network?
I've tried using the filters on windows 98se but with no joy.
I'm aiming to have one computer setup to collect all mail from my isp
server
and the other computer/s on the network to collect the mail addressed to
that particular computer.
Sort of postoffice sorting office, Hope this makes sense!
TIA

Mercury mail? Free and relatively simple to set up.

http://www.pmail.com/overviews/ovw_mercwin.htm