Wifi Configuration Problem

Old September 18th 04, 07:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Barry Higginbottom

Default Wifi Configuration Problem

Hi all

I'm trying to set up a small network with two computers. I've got a 3COM
ADSL Wifi router connected to PC1 via a cable which will be the main
computer. PC2 is to be connected to the Router via an InexQ Wifi PCI card.

Try as I might I can't get PC2 to 'talk' to the router to obtain its IP
address off the router's DCHP server.

PC2 inists on using Windows Automatic Private Address to obtain an IP
address of 169.254.208.235 and I can't get the card to release and pick up
its IP address from the router which should be of the format 192.168.1.x

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but I've lost the plot!

I'm also getting a poor signal strength even though PC2 is only in the next
room. I think I'll have to get an antennae on a lead rather than the one
stuck direct to the Card at the back of the PC?

Any one got a suggestion?

--
Best regards
Barry
Old September 18th 04, 10:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
None

This looks like a security issue on the wifi side.

Have you set up WEP settings on the wireless router - if so ensure the
secruity settings on your PC2 are identical to the wifi router

especially what is your WEP key, is it ASCII or HEX and also if it is
64Bit or 128 Bit

Also ensure the channel is correct on the wireless setup for PC2

The poor signal is because you are using PCI card - the problem is the
metal case effects the signal - I would suggest getting a USB wifi
adapter - most come with a long USB cable so you can place the wifi
adapter in a suitable place in order to get the best signal.

Old September 19th 04, 06:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Barry Higginbottom

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 21:24:52 GMT, None wrote:

The poor signal is because you are using PCI card - the problem is the
metal case effects the signal - I would suggest getting a USB wifi
adapter - most come with a long USB cable so you can place the wifi
adapter in a suitable place in order to get the best signal.

Finally got some sense out of this! You are quite correct in that it's a
signal strength issue. When I take the cover off the PC it works very well
albeit at 30% signal strength.

This is a *very* old house and even though the Router is in the next room I
suspect the wall is about 18" thick!

I think that rather than go down the USB route I'll get hold of an AP to
use as a bridge?

Walking around with my laptop I could get a much better signal at the other
end of the room. Unfortunately it's not practicable to move the computer,
hence my thought of using an AP at the other end of the room.

--
Best regards
Barry

Old September 20th 04, 02:00 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sean Breen

"Barry Higginbottom" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 21:24:52 GMT, None wrote:

I think that rather than go down the USB route I'll get hold of an AP to
use as a bridge?

Can you advise how you will set up an AP to use as a bridge?

I have been asking this question in the newsgroup (see wireless bridging)
with little response.

Many thanks

Seán.

Old September 20th 04, 03:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Barry Higginbottom

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 01:00:33 +0000 (UTC), Sean Breen wrote:

Can you advise how you will set up an AP to use as a bridge?

I have been asking this question in the newsgroup (see wireless bridging)
with little response.

When I find out I'll let you know!!!

I've just bought an InexQ 54g AP to play around with and according to the
'blurb' it can be configured as an Access Point, Stand Alone Repeater or
Bridge to multi Points Bridge.

Unfortunately trying to make sense of the manual is like trying to knit
fog!

I think I want it to be a Standalone Repeater, but, I think to do this that
I will need another AP at the remote PC.

This would then make my setup as follows:

PC1 connected by cable to 3COM wireless ADSL Router
via
InexQ 54g AP configured as a Repeater
via
InexQ 54g AP connected by cable to PC2

PC2 currently has the PCI wiress network card.

But then I'm not sure and I can't find anyone to confirm one way or the
other at the moment!

--
Best regards
Barry
Old September 20th 04, 04:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Barry Higginbottom

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:37:59 +0100, Barry Higginbottom wrote:

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 01:00:33 +0000 (UTC), Sean Breen wrote:

Can you advise how you will set up an AP to use as a bridge?

I have been asking this question in the newsgroup (see wireless bridging)
with little response.

When I find out I'll let you know!!!

OK, progress! I have now succeeded in setting up as I wished using the AP
as a stand alone repeater.

Trouble is I'm not quite sure what I did, but it works!

With my laptop taking the place of PC2 without the AP switched on I am
getting a 73% signal strength at the other end of the house. Placing the
AP stand alone in the same room as my laptop and powered up (of
course) boosts the signal strength to 98%!

For me that's a result.

So I would say that with a little understanding of IP addressing and a
little patience tied in with the ability to understand Far Eastern English
Manuals it ought to be possible to set up the unit I've been using as a
bridge.

If you like I'll email you the manual?

--
Best regards
Barry
Old September 20th 04, 09:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sean Breen

OK, progress! I have now succeeded in setting up as I wished using the AP
as a stand alone repeater.

Excellent & well done - glad you have it working

If you like I'll email you the manual?

I would very much appreciate that - thank you for the offer - my email on
this post is valid (I knoe stupid or wot!)

Once again well done & thanks in advance.

Regards,

Seán.

Old September 21st 04, 07:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Barry Higginbottom

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:54:48 +0000 (UTC), Sean Breen wrote:

Excellent & well done - glad you have it working

I would very much appreciate that - thank you for the offer - my email on
this post is valid (I knoe stupid or wot!)

I'll send the manual over to you, but I'm afraid my initial excitement was
somewhat premature. :(

I really thought I'd got it sussed, but I've just sent all day on site
trying to replicate what I've done at home without any success at all!

I am very confused, so I'll reiterate the current setup and see if anyone
can come up with a solution?

The house in question is 18th Century stone built, but the main office is
in a new build brick annexe. The office is approx. 20' x 15' in plan.
Adjacent to this is the second PC which is separated by a back to back
chimney breast OR two outside walls with windows. The main PC is connected
to a 3COM ADSL modem router with hardware firewall, this unit works very
well for me at home.

The second PC is fitted with a PCI wireless network card, and I cannot get
better than a 'Low' or 'None' signal reported by XP. My laptop which is
fitted with a 3COM Wireless PCCard reports a 30% 'Fair' signal adjacent to
PC2.

What is confusing me is that my laptop will only report a 98-100% signal
within 3" of the router's antennae. Within the same office at the other end
of the room it drops off to 40-50%. The claimed range for this device (I
guess line of sight) is 100 metres (328ft). I can't get 328 inches!!

I've tried changing from 11g to 11b, all the different channels from 1 - 13
without any noticeable difference.

Am I missing something or am I expecting too much?

I intend to call 3COM support tomorrow to see if I can get any sense out of
them.

All suggestions gratefully received!

--
Best regards
Barry
Old September 21st 04, 10:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
None

PCI cards are really awful for signal strength - the reason is due to
the metal casing - this can effect the signal.

I would recommend using a USB WiFi adapter.